45 Colt bullet hardness

Help Support Ruger Forum:

philthephlier

Bearcat
For 1000 FPS with 260 gr. cast bullets from a NM Blackhawk 5-1/2" barrel, how hard should the bullets be?

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I think what chamber pressure it required to get to your 1000fps matters more than the speed itself. I use cast bullets with a bhn of 11-12 for Unique and Universal at those speeds.

pisgah

Buckeye
In my .45 Colt Uberti, I find wheel weights just abourt ideal for 900-1000 fps. The good work that can be done with such a load is a wonder to behold, enough to make you wonder why so many people feel the need to abuse themselves with magnums. They certainly have their place, but the old , pokey .45 will do a heckuva lot of what they'll do.

philthephlier

Bearcat
In my .45 Colt Uberti, I find wheel weights just abourt ideal for 900-1000 fps. The good work that can be done with such a load is a wonder to behold, enough to make you wonder why so many people feel the need to abuse themselves with magnums. They certainly have their place, but the old , pokey .45 will do a heckuva lot of what they'll do.

The devastation that the 45-70 is capable of with 530 grain round nose bullets is legendary. 1300 FPS, it would drop 2000 lb buffalo like a mountain fell on it. I used to be a big .357 magnum fan and still am to a degree but I am quickly turning into a 45 Colt devotee and could easily see myself making it my first choice as an all around home defense cartridge. I'm lovin' it. I just ordered my first NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 5-1/2" barrel. Really looking forward to it.

Rclark

Hunter
....but I am quickly turning into a 45 Colt devotee and could easily see myself making it my first choice as an all around home defense cartridge. I'm lovin' it. I just ordered my first NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 5-1/2" barrel. Really looking forward to it.
You will like it. I sure like mine. .45 Colt loaded 'normally' is my first choice for home defence and my hiking/fishing/camping/etc.

The 260 gr wheel weight cast bullets that I've used for years over Unique and Herco run about the 1K fps range and I have only had leading problems with one Blackhawk. And that was with my standard 10gr Unique load. I really need to lap that barrel and see if it helps but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I heard that Buffalo Bill use to cast his own with wheel weights and what's good for ole Bill is good enough for me. :roll: