45 colt brass?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

polaris

Bearcat
i want to buy some 45 colt brass for reloading in my revolvers, blackhawk and uberti. they will be lighter loads with lead bullets. all name brands Win, Rem, Hornady, starline are on backorder. the only brass i can find is Magtech. is this brass any good? the magtechs have a cannelure on the brass. i have never seen this before. i am looking for alot of reloads from the brass just for plinking with light loads.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If its nickel plated Magtech, it'll peel off after just a few loadings, if its regular brass Magtech it should be just fine, I've loaded some of the .38 Spl brass 30 times with no trouble.

polaris

Bearcat
thanks for replying. i hve been told that the cannelure on the casing does not allow the 255 gr lead bullets to seat deep enough to shoot in my gun, hope that not true.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I've loaded Magtech brass to the Ruger limit and they've holded up to several loadings so far. I've since backed down a bit, but they are still performing strongly.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Each time you load and fire the Magtech brass the cannelure will be ironed out a bit. There's is pretty deep, but it shouldn't hurt anything. At least it hasn't with any of those I've loaded.

Joe

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
polaris":odqb14yw said:
i want to buy some 45 colt brass for reloading in my revolvers, blackhawk and uberti. they will be lighter loads with lead bullets. all name brands Win, Rem, Hornady, starline are on backorder. the only brass i can find is Magtech. is this brass any good? the magtechs have a cannelure on the brass. i have never seen this before. i am looking for alot of reloads from the brass just for plinking with light loads.

As long as you don't need a really stout crimp, you should be fine. My son does need this, (for shooting them in a Smith 460XVR), and finds that those cases with the indented sides tend to fold up at times when crimping hard. I only load mild 45 loads, so have not had a bit of trouble.

I also have found it hard to find 45 Colt brass. Finally picked up several hundred primed Winchester cases at a local gun show. It was fom the ONLY dealer there that had any, however!

bchannell

Bearcat
Local dealer had/had 45 Colt brass for $35/100, and I bought 200. He still had some left, if anyone needs some and is willing to pay shipping, the shop is about a mile from my house, and I'd be glad to get some to you.
I know it's steep, and I don't want a thing for doing it, just thought if someone doesn't have any, that's a way of getting some.
contact
[email protected]

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I was notified yesterday by Midway that a long ago back order I had with them for RP .45 Colt nickel brass was being shipped. (Purchased the nickel because I plan to store some of it in a leather belt.) Well, if you're still in the market it might be worth checking with Midway. Other than shipping, their prices are OK. Gerry

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
i hve been told that the cannelure on the casing does not allow the 255 gr lead bullets to seat deep enough to shoot in my gun, hope that not true.

Howdy

The force generated by your press will shove any bullet right past the cannelure on modern brass. Frankly, modern cannelures are so shallow I don't know why some brass makers bother to put them on. They are little more than decoration. Originally, the point of a cannelure on brass was to act as a stop for a bullet to rest against when seated. But modern cannelures are so shallow they barely protrude into the case at all. They won't act as a stop at all.

Take a look at these old 38-40 rounds, particularly the one on the right. Now that's a cannelure!

USCCo38-40.jpg

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Driftwood Johnson":1xydy51b said:
i hve been told that the cannelure on the casing does not allow the 255 gr lead bullets to seat deep enough to shoot in my gun, hope that not true.

Howdy

The force generated by your press will shove any bullet right past the cannelure on modern brass. Frankly, modern cannelures are so shallow I don't know why some brass makers bother to put them on. They are little more than decoration. Originally, the point of a cannelure on brass was to act as a stop for a bullet to rest against when seated. But modern cannelures are so shallow they barely protrude into the case at all. They won't act as a stop at all.

Driftwood Johnson is absolutely right. I have quite a bit of .45 Colt brass from both Remington and Winchester factory loads bought on sale about 10 or 11 yrs ago that have cannelures. The only extra thing I did was trim them before reloading the first time as I do all my revolver rds, new or once fired, and they've been loaded many times with no problems at all, and still going strong :)

63November

Single-Sixer
gerryb158":jrx5844v said:
I was notified yesterday by Midway that a long ago back order I had with them for RP .45 Colt nickel brass was being shipped.

Remington nickeled is the only brass I don't care for. While it does make good "storing" ammo, the stuff splits so quickly that it isn't a great choice IMO, for ammo which is going to be loaded and shot often. Every lot I've purchased over the years has worked the same for me. Mostly it's all gone now. Ironically, most of the plain old Winchester, stuff which all had the cannelure and seemed soft when run through the sizing die, is still around after almost 20 years. The cannelure is so hard to see now that it isn't useful for sorting as it once was.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Driftwood,

The cannelures on the Magtech brass is VERY deep. It's even deeper than the cartridge on the right in your pic.
It's made in Brazil so I guess they mean it when they roll it in there.

Joe