45 Colt BisHunter project is under way...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Here is the new BisHunter 45 Colt project. Bore slugs at .451, throats are tight at .451 as well. I'll shoot it and then probably have the throats reamed to .4525 and try it with and without a Belt Mountain base pin and see how that works out.

I just got the scope today. Weaver 2x28 Classic. I think it was made for this gun. Size is just right. Fits between the sites perfect and only weighs 6 ozs. ER is excellent. According to info I could find, guys are saying this scope can handle lots of heavy recoil. Weaver says it was made to handle 1000's of 454 rounds. I'll see how it works out with the full house 45 Colt loads. The tube is one solid piece, optics are Japanese, scope says made in Japan. I wonder who makes the optics for Weaver. I wish Leupold or Burris made a 2x28, all they make is 2x20. I figure the 28mm will gather more light. Not interested in a variable 32mm 12oz scope. It seems you have to screw the rear site all the way down for them to fit. I hope to get it dialed in with the scope and sites and then I can pull the scope if I want and be good to go.

Mould is a custom LBT, 350gr with an 80% metplat. I named it the Hammer. I just started casting and haven't even been able to seat any gas checks or lube any yet. I do have 9 though left from the ones the guy sent me when I bought the mould from him. I've shot a few from the 4" Redhawk. So at least a I have a few to send down range on the next warm day! It's 30 below as I type this?

I've been toying with handgun hunting but never got really serious. I think this spring for blackies and next fall for moose I need to get serious, now that I have a BisHunter.

As always, I'm open to input and suggestions in getting this thing lined out. I've never scoped a handgun before.

The parts...
bisHntr_06.jpg

Slap it on just to see how it fits and check the ER! Perfect fit.
bisHntr_07.jpg

The Hammer LBT Mould
45_350_lbt.jpg

The 350gr Hammer next to a 360gr CastPerformace WLN.

45_bullets01.jpg

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Coming along nicely, I look forward to the range report. :D Some serious Alaska sized projectiles. You going to sight it in at a 100yds? My Redhawks using Ruger rings always held their zero when putting the scope on and off again and again.

Dale53

Blackhawk
That looks to be a FINE outfit. All of my deer have been taken with similar outfits in .44 Magnum (Ruger Redhawk 7½" with Leupold 2 power scope and an S&W Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel and Burris scope with a big dot).

They will both pretty much stay on a playing card at 100 yards from a rest and do GOOD work on deer. The two longest shots I've had was 85 yards and 75 yards (both neck shots). One was shot offhand and the other by resting my hand on the side of a large tree (barrel/cylinder gap blew bark into my face hard enough to draw blood). Safety glasses are MORE than useful...

FWIW
Dale53

Bucks Owin

Hunter
That is one great looking hunting rig and chambered in the right caliber IMO. I'd certainly give it a workout "as is" though, may not need any mods to be superbly accurate. Keep us abreast of your findings in that regard. Man, I'd like one of those myself! Best, Dennis :wink: (who has lived in -30 degree country and would simply build a fire beside the benchrest and get on with the testing! :lol: )

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
If you are serious about scoping it and you're going to leave it scoped, trash the Ruger rings. I had a Hunter that chewed up the bottom of the scope and I don't know if it can be refinished. I also had a problem keeping the mounting screws tight.. No more Ruger scope rings for me..JMO

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Snyd, I think you have the gas check on the wrong side of your bullet :shock: No, wait a minute........... that is the nose. Good looking rig. I've used mine a little this year.

elmer046.jpg

mdhunt014.jpg

Great gun, great caliber.

MK111

Bearcat
kimberguy2004":rwh5qj36 said:
If you are serious about scoping it and you're going to leave it scoped, trash the Ruger rings. I had a Hunter that chewed up the bottom of the scope and I don't know if it can be refinished. I also had a problem keeping the mounting screws tight.. No more Ruger scope rings for me..JMO

I for one have to state that my Redhawk 44 mag has had a Burris 2X scope on it since the Redhawk came out over 20 years ago. It has 1" Ruger rings on it and the pistol has shot over 10,000 full power loads of 240 and 310 gr bullets.
These Ruger rings have never slipped and the mounting screws have never came loose. I would use nothing but Ruger rings. In fact I just got a SB Bisley Hunter in 44 mag and Ruger exchanged the 1" rings free for 30MM rings as this one will wear a Ultra Dot Red Dot scope. Already taken a 7 point buck with it.
Ask Dale53 has his Redhawk 44 mag set up the same way has just as many rounds through it or more.
Just my 2 cents worth. They have worked for me and will again I am sure.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I'll try the ruger rings I have for it now and see how it does. I've got a few hundred pounds of lead to run through it.