.45 birdshead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I saw a .45 birsdhead in stainless with the black grips to day for 379.00 it is used has no box or no papers it looks like its in good shape. Is this a good price? are hey good shooters or just meant for a safe queen?

That's not a bad price.

The .45 Colt, in standard loadings, is a fairly easy round to shoot, so it comes to personal preference, the Birds Head or "standard" grip frame.

I've owned and shot a number of Birds Heads, and in spite of the seemingly small grip, it is not a comfort issue to me, at all. I could shoot a Birds head one day, and a plow handle grip the next, and it would make no difference.

WAYNO.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think it is a good price. If you decide not to get it PM me and tell me more information, like a 3 inch barrel?, plus the name of the gunstore. Gosh, I was up in Utah only a few weeks ago.

Knuckles

Buckeye
$375.00 is good for a SS Vaquero .45 LC
Is it in good shape?... if it is buy it... they're very fun guns and you can always resell them with out taking a beating.

If I run across another one while having the cash, I'll buy one again.

Bud (knuckles)

bigboredad

Blackhawk
yes it is the 3.5 inch barrel and in good shape. I have 2 blackhawks in .45 and a super redhawk in .454 so recoil is not a issue. It is only the second one I've ever seen in person even when they first came out I never found one in person. I didn't have the cash flow to pick it up today but I did put it on layaway I am very anxious to shoot it and see how it does. Who knows maybe it'll become my new ccw

Knuckles

Buckeye
bigboredad":vgx4p5q1 said:
yes it is the 3.5 inch barrel and in good shape. I have 2 blackhawks in .45 and a super redhawk in .454 so recoil is not a issue. It is only the second one I've ever seen in person even when they first came out I never found one in person. I didn't have the cash flow to pick it up today but I did put it on layaway I am very anxious to shoot it and see how it does. Who knows maybe it'll become my new ccw

You da man! 8)

BTW... ya gotta love Lay-a-way.

Rocker

Bearcat
Are you sure its a 3 1/2" barrel. thought they only came in 3 3/4".
That is a good price if its in nice shape. Is it Polished Stainless Steel also?
Just wondering as i found one "new old stock" and it sounds like yours but has 3 3/4 " and is high polished SS and is awesome but its like $495.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Sounds like a good deal to me. You should enjoy it! Many people like the BH Vaqueros. I have the polished SS one and it always gets lots of looks at the range. It shoots very well with standard loads, 255gr @ ~900fps, easy to keep 'em all within 3" off hand at 25 yds. Since it is a Vaquero you can stuff it up to Ruger level loads too if you want. It is a nice compact woodswalking gun offering a lot of power. I even carry it for CCW if out in the wild sometimes.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
glad to hear that vadoublegunner
I'm really looking forward to shooting it and thanks for the tip on the loads I was wondering what would be a good load to shoot out of it

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
I have a blued 3 3/4" with reg grip that is a tackdriver. I usually shoot assorted Colt & Schofields through it and at around 10 yards, it consistantly places a full cylinder in a silver dollar size hole. My 4 5/8" won't.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Tommy F
did you check your cylinder throats? I assume that the birdshead vaqueros suffer from the same small throats that have plagued the others during that time frame

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Congrats on the find, Bigboredad! I think you got a good deal. If you decide the birdshead is not for you, or you want to get rid of it for any reason, let me know. I want one of those, and would make you a deal on it for cash or trade. I'm in Utah, so we could do it face-to-face. If you're happy with the gun, I don't want to talk you out of it--just letting you know you can easily move it if you change your mind.

Doxadude

Bearcat
Mine has seen a little CCW duty...

standard.jpg

I put in a SBH hammer, free spin pawl and polished the chambers to make it a little more CCW friendly.

Surprisingly, I find the birdshead grip more comfortable to shoot with even the heavy +p stuff... and I have large hands.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Doxadude
that is really cool looking I like what you have done an the grips look great on there.

KYJIBO
you never know I may not like I let you know how it does when I get enough funds to get it. what part of Utah are you in? I found this one at doug's shoot n sports. The only other one I've ever seen was there also. Ill keep my open ans if i find another one I'll let you know. They do have one of the anniversary super blackhawks with the gold accents and the deep bluing

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Thanks, bigboredad. I'm near Ogden. I go to Doug's once in a while, but they're not one of my favorite shops. I appreciate you keeping me in mind in case you run across another one.

Doxadude: That is one B-E-A-utiful gun you've got! I love the grips and the Super hammer. The ONLY thing I don't care for on it is the warning billboard on the barrel, but it's still a beauty.

KEN TN

Bearcat
I have two of these in stainless. One is the TALO Last Cowboy. I love shooting them and do carry one in CCW quite often.

I shoot them in SASS competition and have a fair amount of trigger time on them. I think if you are familiar with your gun a single action is a very reliable CCW. One thing is that if the bad guy is looking at you with that BIG OPENING in the barrel pointed at him he may make other choices.

I load the Speer shot shell in my 45LC and think it makes a fine first shot.
Great for woods carry.

Ken TN

Ryanusmc

Bearcat
I had one of those but traded it away. It never shot well but that was before I started to load. It also had a problem with the hammer "stalling" mid cock. The front sight wasn't condusive to shooting, I tried soot and paint but they got worn off to quickly.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Latest posts