.45 auto case trim question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skip

Single-Sixer
I have about 3 reloadings with 300 brass .45 auto...should I ck each one for length and trim if needed...I understand that handgun brass isn't critial for length...?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't think anyone who reloads for .45 Auto has ever seen or heard of a case that was "too long." You will either lose them or split the necks long before you get to that point.

I have .45ACP cases that have been reloaded 10 or 12 times, and still going strong.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I have a case length gauge/trimmer for 45auto, but I never use it. Straight wall 45 cases don't "grow" like tapered cases do. They might a little bit, but not enough for me to worry about.

Snake45":1efulfx7 said:
I don't think anyone who reloads for .45 Auto has ever seen or heard of a case that was "too long." You will either lose them or split the necks long before you get to that point.

I have .45ACP cases that have been reloaded 10 or 12 times, and still going strong.

Same here. I have hundreds of 45ACP cases that have been loaded
over a dozen times. I never trim or even check them for length....
just load and shoot. Never have any issues doing this.

Dennis.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I have thousands of empty .45 ACP cases. I've loaded them and many thousands of others and to date I've never found one that's too long.

Too short, yes. Beat and battered till the head stamp is gone, yes. Splits, yes. Never too long.

Joe

andyo5

Single-Sixer
My 45 cases shrink over time. After maybe 10-12 reloads, some of them are short enough that my Para Ordnance will not load them properly. My S&W does not seem to care.
I resized them all, measure, and rejected any that were below minimum. Now all is well.

Enigma

Hunter
I trimmed a bunch of .45 ACP cases once. I couldn't discern one tiny bit of difference in how they shot. I haven't trimmed any since then.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too load a LOT of 45 ACP cases annually. And I shoot a lot of them. They get reloaded a lot. I never have trimmed any.
The one thing I do is use a "case chamber check guage." Mine is from Dillon. I use it so that any possible "out of spec" rounds won't be used in competition.

mattsbox99

Hunter
andyo5":1kqb6gyc said:
My 45 cases shrink over time.

Yes, this is because .45 ACP is such low pressure (target loads even less) that the case doesn't expand enough to seal the chamber and the case slams against the breech face and the pressure actually pushes the case mouth back. Magic, I know.