45 acp Ruger Old Army?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Was wondering...could one safetly fire a 45 acp 230gr fmj slug from a Ruger Old Army? I'm new here, so please be kind if this is a stupid question. :oops:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers.
Safely? Yes.
The ROA has been used a lot with conversion cylinders for the 45 Colt. Ruger also makes convertible 45's. Barrels will handle it, as will any cylinders.
But, while I've seen ROA's with 45 Colt conversion cylinders, I've not seen one set up to accept 45 ACP.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
I don't think we're talking about the same thing? I should have worded my question better. What I am hoping to do is load a 230gr 45acp slug over 777 in the original cylinder. In other words, I want to substitute the 45acp slug for the round ball that I usually load in the ROA. I have compared the bore of the ROA to the bore of a 45acp(Glock 30), and they are very close if not identical. My main concern was with the copper jacket. Not sure if it will cause an increase in pressure over the lead ball. Thanks for your help.

okie44

Single-Sixer
http://www.kirstkonverter.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=4&cat=Ruger+Old+Army+Konverter
I know this is not what you asked, might work better.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Yep, I imagine that's the way to go....I think I'd rather go with 45colt if I choose that route, though. Thanks.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
A friend of mine turned up at the range one day with a box on Berry's Perfect Plated Bullets he'd bought to load .45 ACP.
He didn't like the way they performed out of his Glock 30 and 1911, so he figured we could try shooting them out of our black powder revolvers.

Theses bullets looked like typical hardball. I think they were 180 gr, and they has a deeply hollow base almost like a foster shotgun slug. We loaded them on about 25 gr of Pyrodex P with and without felt wad. Over chamber grease was used just to be extra sure we didn't get a surprise.

The hardest part was getting them loaded concentrically in his 1858 Remmie close. The ROA just ate them up.
A good time was had by all.

You're going to have two problems with your idea.
1. Reduced powder charges will really limit your muzzle velocity. The berry's had hollow bases, so we had some flexibility in our charges.
2. Loading the slug so it is aligned with the chamber/bore.

Start by loading 2 only chambers.
After firing the first round check to see if the second has crept forward. If it is nice and tight, then go ahead and have fun.
If it creeps on you then you will probably get a jam before you get through the cylinder.

Let us know how it works out.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
The diameter of the 45 acp bullets will be too small. You use .457 round balls or .456 lead bullets in a ROA. The 45 acp bullets are .452 in diameter. I guess I'm all confused. The conversion cylinders probably shoot a .452 bullet.

tacklebury

Single-Sixer
In my ROA I used 255 gr. Leads sized .454 for .45 Colt and it worked well. Unless you slug your bore to see where you are at, it's kind of a guess. Run a lead sinker down the barrel that fits tight and you might be surprised what you have. ;)

ScottMcM

Bearcat
It gets a little confusing to me, too, with the different bullet sizes....452...457...It almost seems that a bullet that fits snugly in the cylinder should be too big for the barrel. I may have to rethink this....either get a conversion cylinder....or stick to what I know fits the ROA....I appreciate all the help, guys. This looks like its gonna be a nice place to visit. Thanks again.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Keep in mind a round ball only has tight contact on its circumference. But a bullet is tight for the entire length of its full diameter base. So an oversize ball will not develop as much pressure as an oversize bullet.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Good point...thanks...hadn't thought of that. I think I'll stick to the round balls, or maybe try and find the correct size conical. I'm really pleased with the Old Army. I hope to do a little deer hunting with it this year. My biggest deer to date, 8point/ 175lbs, was taken with a Super Redhawk 44mag(with a scope) at 35-40 yards...I believe I can mount a scope on the Old Army, and if I can find an effective load....what do you guys think? Will the ROA take a deer at less than 50 yards....assuming I can put the round in the right place?

JNewell

Single-Sixer
skeeter said:
The diameter of the 45 acp bullets will be too small. You use .457 round balls or .456 lead bullets in a ROA. The 45 acp bullets are .452 in diameter. I guess I'm all confused. The conversion cylinders probably shoot a .452 bullet.

For the win. Muzzleloading revolvers are not set up for what amounts to an undersized (for the cylinder and forcing cone) jacketed bullet.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
ScottMcM said:
Good point...thanks...hadn't thought of that. I think I'll stick to the round balls, or maybe try and find the correct size conical. I'm really pleased with the Old Army. I hope to do a little deer hunting with it this year. My biggest deer to date, 8point/ 175lbs, was taken with a Super Redhawk 44mag(with a scope) at 35-40 yards...I believe I can mount a scope on the Old Army, and if I can find an effective load....what do you guys think? Will the ROA take a deer at less than 50 yards....assuming I can put the round in the right place?

Check out the converters. I have three of the Taylors and they function amazingly well.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I use standard lead bullets in my ROAs. I load .453 160 gr RNFP over APP and a wad. The bullets fit very snug in the chambers on my revolvers.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
I would not make a habit of hunting deer with a ROA though. It's like shooting one with a 45 acp. Can it be done? Yes, but I think there's a lot better choices.

wildhobbybobby

Bearcat
I have used hundreds of .452 230 grain lead round nosed bullets in 3 different ROA revolvers. They work just fine if you use grease over the bullet or use a Wonder Wad over the powder to ensure that there will be no chainfires. Even though the ROA uses a .457 roundball, it shaves lead off the ball when it is seated because the actual chamber diameter is smaller than .457.

However I would be leery of trying to use a jacketed .45 ACP bullet in a ROA for a couple of reasons.

First, if the jacketed bullet is slightly oversize for the chamber, it would be impossible to seat due to its hardness and you might end up with a nasty jammed partially seated bullet that would be difficult to remove from the cylinder.

Second, even if you were able to properly seat the bullet, there would be an increased danger of chainfires because the bullet might be undersized enough to allow flame to get past it when an adjacent chamber is fired, and it would not "bump up" in diameter to seal the chamber like a lead bullet probably would.

Also, it would probably not be very accurate because it lacks the lubrication that a lead bullet has. That lube helps to keep blackpowder fouling soft and allow accurate shooting.

Heavy conical bullets such as the 230 gr. RNL .452 in a ROA will shoot quite a bit higher than round balls do, as much as 6 inches higher at 25 yards, and adjustable sights on a ROA will not go down far enough to sight them in properly with heavy bullets in my experience.

Kanook

Buckeye
Will the ROA take a deer at less than 50 yards....assuming I can put the round in the right place?

First, make sure it's legal to use a .45 caliber cap and ball to hunt with in your state or the state you plan on using it in. Some states don't allow a .45 and start at .50

Second, if you can be patient enough to hunt with a bow the Ruger Old Army is capable of dropping a deer. What I'm saying is that I let a bunch of deer walk until the shot is just right.

I use a full dose of Shockey's Gold under a .457 lead round ball. #11 CCI caps and I get a entry and exit wound.