.45 ACP advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Looks like I will probably be pulling the trigger on a 1911 this week. I was going to wait a while, but discovered a sale on a nice Range Officer with a holster/mag offer from Springfield. Sale ends Friday, so I'm probably going to jump on it. I've looked at some different bullets and wonder what would be the best thing to get started with.

Here are the alternatives I've looked at.

200 gr or 230 grain. I lean toward the 200.

Cast, coated or plated. I lean toward coated, but would love to be able to shoot cast. I can get cast for almost half of what coated or plated run. I have successfully shot cast in the past, but it has been a struggle. I'm not looking at jacketed for plinking ammo. I would kind of prefer to shoot the coated or plated first, and experiment with potentially problematic cast later.

Bullet profile. Not all profiles are available in all types and weights. One company has a small quantity of 200 grain coated SWCs available at an attractive price shipped. Doesn't look too different than a TC, which should feed well. Most everybody has RN.

I have several powders available. Fast powders like Titegroup, HP38 and Bullseye. Medium speed like Power Pistol and Universal.

I already load for 9mm as well as .38/.357 and several rifle calibers. I assume it isn't that different than 9mm.

Any recommendations appreciated.

paul105

Single-Sixer
I've been using the ACME 200gr SWC coated .45s with good results. Unless I misread their website, the coated are the same price as the traditional cast/lubed. I order them 2,000 at a time.

I've used HP38 to good effect, but am currently using WST (win super target).

Here's a link to the ACME bullet.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/HiTek-Coated-bullets?product_id=428

FWIW,

Paul

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of 200 SWCs over 5.3 of WW231, which is exactly the same powder as HP38. It's functioned well in over a dozen guns, and is very accurate to boot.

mikld

Blackhawk
For a newer reloader starting a new cartridge I'd say start with a tried and true load. For 45 ACP, I'd say a 230 FMJ RN over some Bullseye or W231. This has been reloaded bizillions of times and every possible problem has been worked out and reported on a forum somewhere. After you get the hang of reloading the 45 ACP (won't take long), branch out to an other bullet; the 200 gr LSWC is extremely popular, and try different powders. Hint; find a load, bullet and powder, in your reloading manual(s) before you buy components. Fewer headaches and frustration that way...

I've used jacketed, cast, Hy-Tec coated, PCed, and plated bullets in my 45s and each has their positive points, but I've settled on two bullets most used; 200 gr. LSWC and a PCed 200 gr. SWC (if I were buying bullets I would add Precision Bullets "Black" bullets, Hi-Tec coated)...

Snake45

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
So, Snake45, are those SWCs cast?
Yes. They were locally-produced hardcast lead.

The cool thing about the 5.3/231 load is that it also worked perfectly fine with 230 grain roundnose or truncated cone lead bullets, too. Set the powder measure up once, done!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, I'm new to .45 reloading, but have been reloading other calibers for about 5 years. Not an expert, but not a novice. Thought I'd get some input on bullet types and profiles as I usually order a minimum of 500 bullets to justify shipping costs. I always check the data before deciding on a bullet or powder.

While I appreciate the advice on the FMJ, I really prefer to just concentrate on a bullet I can afford to load in quantity. I have found the coated to be pretty easy to load with, and will likely start there as many of you find them to be good in this caliber. I like plated, but found that you must be careful about powder selection, and data can be confusing if there is a gap between lead and jacketed data. As a bonus, coated are usually a little cheaper than most plated.

I guess the biggest question is whether the SWCs feed well and are accurate, or whether a more traditional RN would do better. I can get either profile in most bullet types and weights. I know TCs work well in 9mm, and I may be able to find the type/weight I want at the right price.

Snake45, did you have any leading issues with those? I assume your were loading .452 size.

NikA

Buckeye
I've found .45 ACP to be one of the calibers that are relatively easy to load with commercial wax-lubed cast bullets. I use medium to fast powders and 230gr TC or RN bullets and have had no problems. I will probably end up going to coated myself because I find it cleaner when loading. I have avoided SWC in autopistols since having some .45 commercial reloads that misfed every round in a 1911. This will not necessarily be your experience but keep in mind that the 1911 was designed around a particular bullet profile and a lot of the magazine geometry, recoil spring strength, feed ramps, etc. have been built around that and do not work perfectly with deviations from that original design. These issues are well documented with 1911s and I don't doubt that you can tune a 1911 to feed 200gr SWCs, but it may be trying to do so versus having a 230gr design that works off the shelf.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
Snake45, did you have any leading issues with those? I assume your were loading .452 size.
None. They also fed very well in all my 1911s.

Enigma

Hunter
Clovishound said:
I guess the biggest question is whether the SWCs feed well and are accurate, or whether a more traditional RN would do better.

You'll never know unless you try. Some 1911s will feed darn near any bullet design and profile right out of the box, while others need help. Same thing with leading. The .45 ACP cartridge is a cast bullet favorite for many people. Some barrels prefer a relatively hard alloy, while others work well with a softer alloy. I guess I've been fortunate, because the only cast 'bullet' I ever shot in .45 ACP that leaded was an unlubricated round ball, and I've fired many thousands of cast bullets in a number of pistols over the decades.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the replies. I'm now thinking that perhaps a RN coated would be the best place for me to start. I can get a sample 250 pack from Blue Bullets at an attractive price. After I get things clipping along with that, I may branch out and try some different styles. I will definitely have to pick up some cast and see if they give me issues. I don't mind a small amount of leading, but want to avoid the marathon barrel cleaning sessions I had when trying to get my 9mm to shoot it. I managed to get there with 9mm, but it took a lot of trial and error, and lots of Hoppes 9 and Lead Remover.

I will start off with Universal, as this is my go to powder right now. I will also do a trial with HP38 and Titegroup.

The next hurdle is to make sure I won't need that money I've squirreled away for something mundane like paying bills. I know I will end up with a 1911. Just hope I can see my way clear to getting this RO that is on a great sale until Friday.

gunzo

Hunter
The Range Officer has an excellent reputation for accuracy & reliability. Go for it.
Years ago I started loading the ACP with Unique, which is very close to the Universal you have. I switched to Bullseye & have used it for years. But, if I were to do over I would use or at least do serious testing with Win231/HP38, as they were the go to powders with 200 or 230 grain bullets at one time.
The leading with your 9 is a different animal vs. the 45ACP. The 9 is probably running about 1150fps, the 45, about 850. Leading with the 45 is usually a mild or non existent problem.

The one item I will recommend with complete confidence is a taper crimp die. Preferably one that is separate from the seating die. That may cause an extra operation, but worth it in my book.

Enjoy !!! 8)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, bad news. I didn't read the fine print on the sale. It's a 9mm Range Officer. Not really interested in a 1911 in 9.

I will be getting one in the near future. I've got the tough part behind me, deciding which 1911 to get. It's just a matter of finding the right deal on one.

I will try some cast once I start loading for it. One of the things I did that helped with leading in the 9mm is to switch from Titegroup to Universal. The medium speed seemed to reduce lead left behind. And yes, I expect the lower velocity of .45 to help as well.

Enigma

Hunter
gunzo said:
The leading with your 9 is a different animal vs. the 45ACP. The 9 is probably running about 1150fps, the 45, about 850. Leading with the 45 is usually a mild or non existent problem.

Most 9mms are actually made with .358" ID barrels. Run a cast .355 or .356" bullet down a .358" bore, and it's going to lead. There's a sticky thread at Cast Boolits dedicated to shooting cast in a 9mm.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have Range Officers in both .45 and 9mm. It would be very hard to choose between them if I could only have one. The 9 is just sweet but I also love the .45. Both are super accurate and function is 100% on both.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Update. Clovispup and I went to the range today. I saw they had the Range Officer on sale. At $650 I couldn't pass it up. Put in for the "free" holster, mag holder, and 4 mags.

I will be ordering a set of dies and some bullets tonight or tomorrow.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Clovishound said:
Update. Clovispup and I went to the range today. I saw they had the Range Officer on sale. At $650 I couldn't pass it up. Put in for the "free" holster, mag holder, and 4 mags.

That is a heck of a good deal !

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
Clovishound said:

That is a heck of a good deal !

I thought so. I was really wanting to wait until we got back from a convention we are going to later this month, but at that price, I threw my card down on the counter.

I pulled it down, cleaned an lubed it. It is a really well machined piece of machinery. Seems to shoot well, also. Got a set of dies and some bullets on order already. Springfield has a deal until the end of June that gives you a holster, mag holder and 4 extra mags. Got that on order as well. Really nice box it comes in too.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Mine came with the holster,mag holder,but only two mags. And mine was about $100 more than you paid + I ordered two spare mags at about $40 ea with shipping.
I wanted SA mags and not some aftermarket mags even though they were spendy.
SA will replace them if they don't work.