45 A.C.P. Brass primer size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

I'm a long time reloader but I can't say I've reloaded as much 45 acp as some and i don't remember if I ever sorted for large/small primer pocket.

Since I've been on a hiatus of sorts from reloading and having to replace everything I'm buying some brass and I see the offer of small/large for primer pockets.

Any preference? Seems to me I remember that most folks think the large primer pocket promotes more consistent ignition.

RSIno1

Hunter
Do you load both LP and SP? If you're only loading calibers that use SP it would make sense to cut down on the number primers you need to stock. I've never had any problems with either primer in 45.

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
I'm trying to remember what I did when I was reloading it (not easy for over 50).

I only have had two 45 acp pistols in my time and the last one was 12 years ago, maybe more...

I'm a fan of the LP myself.

Johnnu2

Hunter
As long as you are in the process of buying new brass; I would pick the brass with the large pistol primer pockets. I'm guessing that for most of it's history, 45ACP has been produced with large pockets and thus, if you get some used stuff, the chances are greater that those pockets will be for large primers too. Since I stock both large and small primers it doesn't matter to me which size pockets the brass that I scrounge happen to have; both shoot equally well. I just have to keep my eyes open and sort the brass correctly... I still use a single stage press that I bought in 1973 so confusion is kept to a minimum. Eyesight is another story ......... J

mikld

Blackhawk
If you are starting out with 45 ACP, just go with the large primed brass, much more popular. The availability of new and "once fired" brass makes the difference kind moot, but reloads with the large primed brass prolly out numbers the small primed brass by 1,000-1. In my testing and everything I've read, of large vs. small primed 45 ACP, there ain't enough difference in performance to think about.

The only problem with small primed brass shows up when a reloader doesn't inspect their brass and they try to stuff a large primer in a small primer pocket...

https://www.google.com/search?q=large+vs+small+primers+in+45+ACP&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS776US776&oq=large+vs+small+primers+in+45+ACP&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0.14538j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

wwb

Hunter
mikld said:
......The only problem with small primed brass shows up when a reloader doesn't inspect their brass and they try to stuff a large primer in a small primer pocket...

You just hafta push REALLY hard..... :shock:

Rclark

Hunter
just go with the large primed brass, much more popular.
Not so much more popular, ... it just has been the 'standard' ever since it's conception. Brass is cheap, I just toss the small primer brass in the round file. Get along just fine without it. Note I did hear/read of a 'good' use for it when shooting those semi-autos. That is, use the small primer brassed shells when your in the field and don't want/need to pick up brass :) .

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I often pick up brass after police day at our range. Recently most of it has been
CCI with small primers. I load and shoot both kinds. My brass prep routine
Includes an inspection after resizing,expanding and wet tumbling. I sort for primer size at that time. I grab a tub of 500 +/- and set in front of the boob tube and do it.
Both sizes shoot the same.

mikld

Blackhawk
I'm not too sophisticated a reloader nor too good to reload small primed 45 ACP, so I just collect all brass, clean, and inspect. It all shoots accurately and reliably in my 45 ACP pistols...

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
daveg.inkc said:
I thought all .45 acp was Large prime. Is the Small Prime new? As in brass made since 2000?

No. It's just the non toxic ammo that some LEOS and others use.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've been holding on to the small primer brass I run across. I am thinking that I may need to load some .45 one of these days and will be out of large primers.

Rclark

Hunter
Is the Small Prime new?
Well, in the scheme of things, yes. The .45 ACP has always been large since it was created back in 1905. So yes, it is new. How 'new' I am not sure. Did a search and posts seems to start showing up around 2011 or so.... So, not sure when the 'greenie' NT primed cases actually started to be manufactured.

I want to say it was around 2002/2003 I ran into NT 45 ACP small primer. At first I separated the SM/LG primer brass. It got to be a pain so I chucked the SM. primer ones. They did shoot the same.
Eric

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I keep a thousand or so small primer .45 acp around for a rainy day. I've loaded them and see absolutely no difference in accuracy.