45/70 Split Case

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CW4USARET

Bearcat
While cleaning some 45/70 brass I noticed a horizontal split .745 from the mouth of the case and it was .40 in length. I have been reloading for over 40 years and this is the first time I've seen something like this.

History of the case:
Reloaded - 3 times
Powder - 31 grains of Blackhorn 209 with .061 paper wafer over powder slightly compressed
Bullet - 433 grain lead with gas check
Primer - Winchester LRP
Case - Remington Peters

This case was fired two time in a 1874 Shilo Sharps Montana Rifle (barrel length 36") with velocities averaging 1200 fps.

The last time the case was used was with the same load was in a Henry 45/70 Lever Action (barrel length 18") with velocities averaging 1036 fps.

Primers not deformed

Do I have a pressure problem associated with the lower velocities of the Henry?

Thanks
jrf

magnum711

Bearcat
jrf,

I don't see any issue with your load. The only thing I can think of is the crimp Remington puts below the bullet to prevent setback. Maybe your cases grew in length and then split at the old lower crimp. Per my calipers, the crimp is .685 below the mouth on an unfired 405 gr load.

Phil

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Sounds like work-hardened brass. Do you anneal? BTW, Brasso brass polish has caused similar situations for me in the past. The brass got really hard, and couldn't expand & contract anymore. Ammonia based polishes like Brasso can do this.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Case mouths will split sometimes from over-working because of a heavy crimp. Not dangerous and a good reason to inspect cases before re-loading. I have found splits in many cases and just toss them.