44SPL.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm getting my Lipsey's 44spl. next week. :D :D and I ordered the cases from Starline last week. Backordered till 10-15 well I knew my neighbor Win85Shooter had gotten his 44spl. and asked if he could bail me out till my order came in. No problem he sent me 50 "primed" cases. Today I get a e-mail from Starlne and my order will arrive thurs. 10-01. Hay maybe things are getting better.
I want to thank Mike. Its guys like Mike and others here that make this forum so special to me.
Eric

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Good luck with your new gun. That generosity is one of the things I love about this forum.

I managed to find the last 150 .44 Special cases in existence at a gun show over the weekend. I now have a grand total of 300.

Maybe I should put in that Starline order, too...

-- Sam

paul105

Single-Sixer
I ordered (backordered expected 10-15) some Starline .44 Spcl cases less than a week ago. Got a FedX Tracking number Friday -- delivery schedule for Oct 1. Looks like they are in stock.

FWIW,

Paul

volshooter

Buckeye
The .44 spc is one of my favorite calibers.
I have had good results cutting .44mag down to spc length.
I'm trying using .454 brass for my .45 Colt. I know the primer size is off but I have a good deal of brass.

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
Where and from whom can a person order Starline 44 Special brass (unprimed)?
TNX

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
volshooter":v9ohrfz1 said:
I've considered this. Do you use a power or hand cranked trimmer? If the latter, about how long does it take per case?

I've got a bunch of .44 mag brass, plus it's easier to find at shows, etc.

-- Sam

edlmann

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":3bezdgcz said:
volshooter":3bezdgcz said:
I've considered this. Do you use a power or hand cranked trimmer? If the latter, about how long does it take per case?
I've got a bunch of .44 mag brass, plus it's easier to find at shows, etc.

Trim Die:
569108.jpg

Click here

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I managed to find the last box of 100 Hornady .44 Special unprimed brass from a place in Nebraska.
I like Starline just fine, but couldn't wait... I have tons of them for .45's.
Well, maybe not tons...
Sonnytoo

Pick up the November issue of Shooting Times magazine. It has a nice article on the .44 Special, featuring your particular model, and a whole bunch of reloading recipes for it.

;)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Thanks for the info. I've got about 300 .44 Special cases now; I think I'll just order some more and wait. All these trimmers, dies, specialty jigs, etc, cost at least as much as 100 pieces of brass, and would really only be worth it to me if I literally could not get it for .44 Spec. As a buddy pointed out, I still have .44 mags, and need to save some of my mag brass for those, too.

With that Redding Trim Die, I see it mentions "file trimming". Is it really then just sort of a holder, and you have to file it (using a hand file) to size?

FWIW, Dillon has a $250 power trimmer that would make short work of the brass, if I were of the monied gentry... Or if I had a true drill press I could get a jig that would trim to size for $35. The possibilities are endless!

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Well woo-de-hoo! I just got 200 more pieces of .44 Special Starline brass right off of Midway, who says it is currently in stock. This was not the case the night before last when I looked.

-- Sam

Couple of weeks ago I trimmed two 44mag cases to 44spl. specs. I decided i'd wait for my order from Starlinne.
My order came two weeks early :D . When I saw it was backordered again till 11-15 I think, I figured the big boys must have it. Glad you got some Sam.
Now I need a way to trim the rims of 32-20 so I can chamber them in my OM 30 carbine.
I cannot locate a NM cyl. to use in my OM.
I'm going to shoot my lipsey's tomorrow.
Eric

edlmann

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":29uxn5vn said:
Thanks for the info. I've got about 300 .44 Special cases now; I think I'll just order some more and wait. All these trimmers, dies, specialty jigs, etc, cost at least as much as 100 pieces of brass, and would really only be worth it to me if I literally could not get it for .44 Spec. As a buddy pointed out, I still have .44 mags, and need to save some of my mag brass for those, too.

Really only worth it if you're sitting on a mound of .44 Mag brass you have no need for.

Yosemite Sam":29uxn5vn said:
With that Redding Trim Die, I see it mentions "file trimming". Is it really then just sort of a holder, and you have to file it (using a hand file) to size?

Yep. The trim die supports the case so it doesn't collapse. In some cases (say, .30-06 to .44 AMP, for instance), you would use a hacksaw to rough-cut, ream to correct wall thickness, then finish with a file.