44 vs 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
this is not the run of the mill which is better. but nay, nay, I say nay. I have four vaqueros all 44 mag.

My question is as follows

as I have 4 large frame vaqueros and load brute loads in them, do I really need a large frame or would the small frame (new vaquero) do 100% of what I NEED a 45 to do. that is be a nice comfortable to shoot handgun. A further problem is that I have big hands and have replaced all of my stock grip frames with dragoon grip frames. If the nv is smaller than the stock blackhawk/vaquero grip frame I will have to change them.

I am no longer able to hunt, bad knees, so rhino rollers have become a novelty no longer indulged in to any extent. So, do I really need a large frame, to go with my other vaqs, or go with a new vaq in 45.

I am really leaning towards a vaquero to allow my son to have some hi rollers for eastern hogs. I do cast and reload for 44 so heavy 45's are not a real challenge

But, I will listen to other opinions, thank you.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The New Vaquero has the '05 version of the XR-3 grip frame. Very similar in size/shape to the Colt SAA's grip frame which is not very friendly to shooters with "warm loads".

The New Vaquero in .45 is touted as being best fed standard .45 Colt loads and in no way should someone stuff the popular, barn burner "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads into one of the smaller framed, smaller cylinder equipped New Vaqueros.

It sounds to me you should take Elmer's advice. He stated long ago that if he was "stuck" with Factory loads (meaning old school low pressure stuff) his gun choice would be a Colt Single Action Army chambered in .45 Colt. Adding a Modern twist would make me think he'd also really approve of the New Vaquero.

flatgate

pisgah

Buckeye
I firmly believe that for about 99% of all the jobs a sane man would want to do with a handgun a 255-260 gr. lead SWC at 850-1000 FPS will perform splendidly -- and the New Vaquero would eat loads like this with ease.

DGW1949

Hunter
pisgah":1e1d3fcn said:
I firmly believe that for about 99% of all the jobs a sane man would want to do with a handgun a 255-260 gr. lead SWC at 850-1000 FPS will perform splendidly -- and the New Vaquero would eat loads like this with ease.

Yep....A tradtional 255SWC @ 800-850 works for me....and has for a lot of years.
I do suspect though, that that same load is up to your 1000 when fired through my rifle....which is a rather moot point, 'cause in either case, downed is down and dead is dead.

A Colt-sized 45LC SA is a dern good mouse trap if ya ask me.

DGW

Dale53

Blackhawk
Another one you might want to consider is a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. I have recently purchased one, did a bit of tuning (reamed both cylinders and did a trigger job). It is a very versatile platform - shoot everything from light .45 ACP target loads to heavy "barn burner" .45 Colt loads complete with very nice adjustable sights and , for me, the better Bisley grips.

They are a limited addition but are around (there is one right now ready to finish up on Gunbroker but you will have to jump quick).

I and two friends have these and I can recommend these without reservation if you are willing to do a bit of tuning.

Ours shoot at NRA Match level accuracy. Couple that with "hunting power" and it is a combination that is hard to beat.

FWIW
Dale53

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
DGW1949":3o2qskkw said:
pisgah":3o2qskkw said:

Yep....A tradtional 255SWC @ 800-850 works for me....and has for a lot of years.
I do suspect though, that that same load is up to your 1000 when fired through my rifle....which is a rather moot point, 'cause in either case, downed is down and dead is dead.

A Colt-sized 45LC SA is a dern good mouse trap if ya ask me.

DGW

I've been loading my packing pistols to those levels for years now.

I've chronographed the following:

19.2 gr H-110 under 250gr Oregon Trail lrnfp
Marlin Cowboy 24" barrel 1318 fps
Trapper 16.5" barrel 1256 fps
Ruger Black Hawk 4 5/8" barrel 970 fps
Ruger Bisley Vaquero 4 5/8" barrel 929 fps

ShootingBench1.jpg

BTW: Yes, it's the middle of the road, but its MY road in the middle of MY ranch... nearest boundries are plenty far enough away :wink:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Not sure I fully understand the question, but here is my opinion anyway.

Since you already have a few large frame 44 Mag Vaqueros, you don't really need more horsepower as in "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads. The standard 45 Colt is a great cartridge for fun shooting and will handle a lot of chores assigned to a sixgun.

Since you have large hands, I think the New Vaquero Bisley is available in 45 Colt? Might be just the ticket.

Dan

DGW1949

Hunter
Old Judge Creek":2oio7o5n said:
Thanks, don44.

I'm darn grateful that the chips fell as they did.

Yes Sir, I'd reckon you are at that.
If Heaven was to be on earth, you're probably parked right in the middle of it......Meaning that it looks a lot like West Texas, only you got better grass.

DGW

dougader

Hunter
You'll save a few ounces with a New Vaquero in 45 Colt and a 250-260 SWC @ 900 fps should be plenty for Arizona. Cougar, coyote.... unless you run into big bear I don't think you'll need anything heavier.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Dale53":2zpdq7pk said:
Another one you might want to consider is a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. I have recently purchased one, did a bit of tuning (reamed both cylinders and did a trigger job). It is a very versatile platform - shoot everything from light .45 ACP target loads to heavy "barn burner" .45 Colt loads complete with very nice adjustable sights and , for me, the better Bisley grips.

They are a limited addition but are around (there is one right now ready to finish up on Gunbroker but you will have to jump quick).

I and two friends have these and I can recommend these without reservation if you are willing to do a bit of tuning.

Ours shoot at NRA Match level accuracy. Couple that with "hunting power" and it is a combination that is hard to beat.

FWIW
Dale53

Couldn't have said it better!

deac45

EDK

Single-Sixer
I like Original Size VAQUEROS with either DRAGOON/HUNTER grip frames or BISLEY VAQUEROS in 44 magnum (and 357 also.)

If you stay with the Original Size guns, you don't have to buy new leather!

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The New Vaqueros cylinders are too thin to shoot heavy loads in 45LC through. Only Low pressure loads should be used. Take your calipers and measure the thickness of the cylinder walls.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Although I kinda favor the .45 Colt, a .44 mag down loaded to the 900 ft, or just a tad more velocity levels shoots mighty nice :)

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
two bit okie":ikrq56xi said:
... A further problem is that I have big hands and have replaced all of my stock grip frames with dragoon grip frames. If the nv is smaller than the stock blackhawk/vaquero grip frame I will have to change them.....

The Ruger New Vaquero has smaller (thinner) grips than the original Vaquero or Blackhawk. You might want to check out the extended grips by 41 Magnum.
They would be a lot less expensive than swapping out the grip frame and internal parts.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60533

Jack

Latest posts