44 SPL Vaquero frame size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
What frame size are the 44 Special Vaqueros? Not grip frame, that's the original XR3. I'm asking about the "other" frame.

I've read that all 44 Special Vaqueros are built using the smaller frame aka New Vaquero. I've also read that the 44 Special Vaqueros are built on the larger old model Vaquero frames.

Can anyone give me the definitive answer? I'm doing some holster shopping and don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks

hittman

Staff member
These may help you:

Rclark

Hunter
All .44 Specials (from the factory) are built on the medium frame. Whether New Vaqueros (marked Vaquero just to confuse us) or flattops.... Simple as that.
The large frame .44 Magnum Vaqueros can, of course, shoot .44 Specials... Maybe that is where confusion came from.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yep the 44 Magnum NEW Vaquero is the only new vaquero built on the original Vaquero large main frame.
But there's no confusion about the .44 spl Vaquero once you know, even though it's the same design and medium frame size as the New Vaqueros, it's not a "New" version of the original Vaquero because there was no original Vaquero chambered in 44 Spl. Simple as that.