.44 special vs .45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I've also read (either on here on that other Ruger forum) that even barring "detonation," it is best to put filler in the case for the regular loads, in order to get a more consistent burn and better accuracy. Someone earlier in this thread alluded to the .45 Colt being less consistent with some of the lighter loads.

Of course, Trail Boss eliminates all this..... wish i had bought up a pallet-load a couple years ago.

Rclark

Hunter
Never used a 'filler' in my life from .32s to .45s . You can prove that over the chronograph if you desire. And yes for powder-puff loads Trail Boss works great. When I just want to spit out a bullet that 'just' makes it out the barrel (like for fire lapping) Trail Boss is the goto powder. Otherwise Unique, Universal, Green Dot, True Blue, HS-6, etc. (pick your favorite power to get a standard 250gn RNFP to 850-900fps) all work great in the o' .45. If you really want to fill that case because of a residual paranoia, load up a slightly compressed load of black powder or a substitute ;) .

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
.45 Colt, hands down. Way more versatility for a handloader and can also choose from a wide selection of commercially made ammunition.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Never used a 'filler' in my life from .32s to .45s . You can prove that over the chronograph if you desire. And yes for powder-puff loads Trail Boss works great. When I just want to spit out a bullet that 'just' makes it out the barrel (like for fire lapping) Trail Boss is the goto powder. Otherwise Unique, Universal, Green Dot, True Blue, HS-6, etc. (pick your favorite power to get a standard 250gn RNFP to 850-900fps) all work great in the o' .45. If you really want to fill that case because of a residual paranoia, load up a slightly compressed load of black powder or a substitute ;) .
I need to get back into the reloading. With the way things have been going, I've kinda sat on all my ammo for a couple years now, including my reloading components. But I really need to start shooting some 44S, 44M, and 45 Colt some more.

BTW, really like your sig line.

Onty

Single-Sixer
If I have to choose, I'll go with 44 Special. Here is why. Let start with serious stuff; handgun hunting. Please read what Terry Murbach said:

"...I DO KNOW I CAN RUN 300gr BULLETS AT 1100FPS FROM ALL MY 45COLT SIXGUNS INCLUDING THE COLT AND S&W M25-5 GUNS OF VARIOUS BARREL LENGTHS WITH LOADS THAT ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE LAST FEW SPEER MANUALS.
A 45 CALIBER 300gr LFN BULLET AT 1100 WILL COMPLETELY PENETRATE ANY ANIMAL IN NORTH AMERICA AND YOU NEED NOTHING ELSE. MORE SPEED MAY FLATTEN THE TRAJECTORY A BIT-- darned LITTLE TOO AS A MATTER OF FACT-- BUT ALL YOU ARE DOING AT 1100 OR 1300 IS POKING A 45 CALIBER HOLE IN AND A 45 CALIBER HOLE OUT.
THE MOST INTERESTING PART OF THIS TO ME IS THE FACT THAT A 454424 KEITH BULLET AT THE SAME SPEEDS--1050 TO 1100-- DOES THE SAME WORK AND DOES IT AT EVEN LOWER PRESSURES. THIRTY SIX YEARS AGO I PUT FIVE TONS OF MEAT ON THE GROUND WITH THE KEITH LOAD FROM A RUGER 45COLT 4 5/8" SIXGUN [ 1075FPS FROM THIS GUN ] AND NEVER RECOVERED A SINGLE BULLET. THEY WENT COMPLETELY THROUGH FROM EVERY CONCEIVABLE ANGLE INCLUDING FROM STRAIGHT ABOVE.
THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANY HEAVIER BULLETS OF ANY KIND IN THE 45COLT CARTRIDGE"

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?t=19554 , posted Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 pm.

Now, let see what James Gates wrote: When we get to this point, it is the Meplat Area that counts.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?48098-Gates-Extreme-Meplat-Bullets

Here is 454424:

45-Keith-260-Gr-600x471-500x500.jpg

So, if we have 44 bullet, about same weight and same meplat dia as 454424, lunched at same 1100 fps, we will have the same effect on deer or hog.

Here is 43-255M from Acurate Molds:

44-255 LBT.JPG

Now, everybody knows about famous E. Keith load with 429421, lunched at 1200 fps, using 2400 powder, that paved the way for 44 Magnum. In that respect, wouldn't be any problem to get 1100 fps with bullet above. If we are talking about accuracy, this 44 Special load should have the edge, since powder space is more filled than in 45 Colt case. When we are talking about target loads, 44 Special should be also better choice for the same reason.

As for 45 Colt, these days is quite easier to find revolver in this caliber than in 44 Special. Also, everybody makes mold for 454424.

Despite, I will still go with 44 Special, if for nothing else, because of very fine Ruger Flattop and S&W 24/624 revolvers.

However, as others pointed, 45 Colt. is also very fine choice.

Last edited: