.44 special Problem Resolved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
My Ruger ,44spl. came from Ruger with a serious rust problem. I sent it back to Ct. plant ten days ago. Today I recieved a letter from Ruger saying that it was not fixable and needed to be scrapped [520-18810]and Ruger would send a new one to the ffl of my choice-I have to pay ffl fees. Of course if it could have been repaired they could have shipped it directly back to me but since it is a new serial # it must go to a FFL holder. In any event that is the way the situation has been resolved. Dr.C

Cholo

Staff member
Glad to hear you're taken care of. The ffl fee sucks but you can't blame the ffl. It would be nice if they shipped you an extra set of grips or something for your trouble. Maybe they will. They sent me an extra magazine with 2 finger extensions for my early recalled LCP.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I agree that they could "easily" make you happy that you went thru this trouble. No problem, no sweat, very little cost to them. I wonder if they will. GO RUGER!
Sonnytoo

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
It does NOT have to go back through an FFL holder as STURM, RUGER&COMPANY is an FFL holder and they can BY LAW replace a gun for a customer and ship it directly back to them. This assumes you used your right to ship directly to them in the first place and did not go through an FFL holder.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
WIL TERRY":uiiljhwp said:
It does NOT have to go back through an FFL holder as STURM, RUGER&COMPANY is an FFL holder and they can BY LAW replace a gun for a customer and ship it directly back to them. This assumes you used your right to ship directly to them in the first place and did not go through an FFL holder.

If the gun is a new serial # it has to go to a FFl. You then need to do the paperwork just as if you bought the gun. Went through this will Ruger. I did not want the hassle of going to my FFl and the waiting period when they replaced my SR9. New gun new serial # equals hassle. Even called the ATF was told it was no different than buying a gun when a company replaces a gun if the serial # is different.

pakrat57

Bearcat
According to the atf's own website, a replacement gun isn't subject to the brady act. I got the following from their site.

Q - (P24) A firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair. Is the return of the repaired firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Would the transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm be subject to the requirements of the Brady law?

A - Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee's permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.

[27 CFR 478.124-25] -- P24 - http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm

G2

Hunter
Nobody know's what the reason, (But Ruger) Ruger want's to send it thru a FFL Dealer. Bottom line this is how Ruger want's to handle the transaction, and they are a party to this transaction.

I use a FFL Dealer everytime I transfer a firearm. Do I have too? NO
Why? CYA ,,, It just makes sense! TO ME.

Let's remember Ruger has been doing firearm transfers a hell of alot longer than most of us here and I will even go out on a limb and say they have transfered a few MORE guns than any of us. I'm sure there relationship with ATF is very ,,, well you know. :D

Doc, Glad to hear you got a replacement in route, I have a feeling it will be RIGHT.
and if it were to be shiped to flatgate it would be Left. :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY":1solkvsb said:
Exactly, serial number is a non-issue! Folks, "Wil Terry" has forgotten more about sixguns, shooting and reloading than most of us will ever know. He knows of what he speaks.

I had Cimarron send me a replacement 1860 Richards Type II cartridge conversion just last year. It does not have to go through an FFL and if Ruger wants to do so with the Bearcat I just sent them, I will protest.