44 special +p ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougader

Hunter
I'm not selling anything, but I had nothing to lose either.

I happen to believe Keith. I have seen some pretty amazing shots in my life, by my own Dad. He took an elk at what had to be 800 yards across a canyon. If I hadn't seen it, I would have never believed it. The gun? An old, beat up Remington 760 pump loaded with the ridiculously fragile 1960's era Winchester Silvertip 180 sp grain ammo. It took 3 shots. At the 3rd shot the elk just laid down. It was dead by the time my Dad and uncle got over there... which actually took quite awhile.

I asked Dad how far that was and he said I'm not quite sure. He just lobbed those rounds over there, adjusting as he fired, and hit that elk solid on the 3rd shot. It didn't run. It just looked around to see what the noise was.

Same as a mule deer I shot at about 400 yards across a canyon in the Juniper area in SE Oregon, down near French Glen, OR. Mine only took 2 shots. I had a M77 Ruger with a 3x9 Leupold scope and I knew exactly what my handload was doing. Dad only had a crappy 4x scope of some brand I never heard of. I could never get the eye relief to even see through it myself. Of course, he was a crack shot in the Navy, too, but I only knew that from talking to his friends and our relatives. He never bragged about it. And he grew up hunting and got in trouble all the time for skipping school to go hunting.

We didn't have laser range finders back then. We joked and called it Kentucky windage.

IIRC, Keith's final shot on that mule deer was taken as the deer topped a small ridge or something and was not moving when it was hit. I'd have to go back and read the story again at this point to be sure.

CraigC

Hawkeye
There are many of us who know of modern day shooters who shoot their sixguns at rather extreme ranges. If you are familiar with the practice, there's really nothing to get bent outta shape over. If you are not and your frame of reference is rather narrow, who are you gonna believe, people the likes of Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Ross Seyfried, John Taffin, Brian Pearce, Jim Taylor, etc. or some anonymous internet nut with an axe to grind???

RedHawk44":xg6sf573 said:
That otta keep you busy.
No, I'll leave all the worrying about non-issues to you. I have better things to do. That forcing cone you're worried about cracking, let's not forget that it is the same diameter barrel shank used in .45Colt (55,000psi!), .475 and .500 conversions.

cas6969

Buckeye
277.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.