44 Special in new catalog

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
If by "conventional" it means non-50th, can't see it--and wouldn't buy it--already have variety of 44 mag's...Wouldn't make sense to have discreet .44 Mag and Special models on the same (NM/mag) frame.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
This may be a dumb question, but doesn't the NVB designation in the model number indicate that it will be a flat-top or at least a mid-sized frame gun? Have there been any other models that start with NVB other than the 50th Ann. Blackhawks and the Lipsey's Special?

Lee Martin

Hunter
I can't image they'd reintroduce the OM frame with humps. And it would be ridiculous to do it on a full-size New Model. That being said, I'm sure it'll be the Anniversay 357 flattop frame.

batmann

Single-Sixer
StanMemTn":oll0tj7w said:
This may be a dumb question, but doesn't the NVB designation in the model number indicate that it will be a flat-top or at least a mid-sized frame gun? Have there been any other models that start with NVB other than the 50th Ann. Blackhawks and the Lipsey's Special?

I do believe that the NVB indicates a mid-size frame. Flattop? We can hope.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I'm neutral about this "Flat-top" business. I'm not against it, I just don't get the appeal. I find a regular sized .44 Blackhawk a bit more interesting than the mid-size frame.

gak

Buckeye
ElrodCod":a2k3ssi2 said:
"I'm neutral about this "Flat-top" business. I'm not against it, I just don't get the appeal. I find a regular sized .44 Blackhawk a bit more interesting than the mid-size frame."

To each their own, but IMO the mid-frame for the .44 Sp is the whole/entire point! We've got full size BHs now.

single action

Single-Sixer
Based on the success of the Lipseys I would question Ruger would change what they are already making. If it aint broke dont fix it, Though stranger things have happened! sa

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
gak":3rqv0m8j said:
ElrodCod":3rqv0m8j said:
"I'm neutral about this "Flat-top" business. I'm not against it, I just don't get the appeal. I find a regular sized .44 Blackhawk a bit more interesting than the mid-size frame."

To each their own, but IMO the mid-frame for the .44 Sp is the whole/entire point! We've got full size BHs now.

I have large hands & the standard grip frame is a better fit for me. It doesn't matter to me whether the frame has a hump or not . I'm not sure who "we" is in regards to having full size BHs but I don't own any. I'd be happy to have one in .44 Special.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Lee Martin":cr8qnopv said:
The current Lipsey 4 5/8" weighs 42 oz.....so does the new 4 5/8" 44 Spl catalog listing. I'm betting they're the same.

I think someone just copied the old Lipsey's data into the catalog, and the proofreading process failed. That's why the model # says 5½" barrel, but the chart says 6½". I have no confidence on what will actually appear until I see one. Or two.

gak

Buckeye
ElrodCod":1s1deyke said:
gak":1s1deyke said:
ElrodCod":1s1deyke said:
EC: "I'm neutral about this "Flat-top" business. I'm not against it, I just don't get the appeal. I find a regular sized .44 Blackhawk a bit more interesting than the mid-size frame."

GAK: To each their own, but IMO the mid-frame for the .44 Sp is the whole/entire point! We've got full size BHs now.

EC: I have large hands & the standard grip frame is a better fit for me. It doesn't matter to me whether the frame has a hump or not . I'm not sure who "we" is in regards to having full size BHs but I don't own any. I'd be happy to have one in .44 Special.

GAK: ElrodCod, my point was that they're making large frame (NM frame BH) .44 Mags now that you can (and folks now do) shoot .44 Special through. I also understand--and if your ultimate point is--that, ideally, a "discreet" .44 Special (like a discreet .38 Colt SAA vs .357) is a slightly "better," more accurate experience for the "lesser" round, I.e., its own cylinder and matched barrel gap--but in the larger frame--I understand that...but, I still can't remotely imagine Ruger making duplicate frame .44 guns for the two cartridges when the larger frame is not required (at all) by the Special--...thus the 50th frame everyone's clamored for. Re grips, the 50th/NV guns use very slim grip panels (admittedly atop also a slightly smaller grip frame vs the NM's). Aftermarket/custom replacement panels do not need to be--and usually aren't--as slim. A lot of 50th/NV owners do just that.

Long way of saying, if you want a large frame .44, just buy a current production or used NMBH (or discontinued Vaquero) .44 Mag and shoot Specials in it. (Later Ed's)

chet15

Hawkeye
The 2010 listings for the .44 Specials have the catalog numbers the same as the Lispey's models and Ruger's model numbers are also the same (5232 and 5233) so I would be about 99.9% they will be flattops.
I have been told the listing for 6-1/2" is a printing error...so everybody latch on to one of those catalogs if you can.
Something interesting about the Lipsey's guns is that Ruger was hesitant to produce the model in 5-1/2", saying they didn't think it would sell. Guess the public fooled the experts....the 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" have been produced in about equal numbers.
Chet15

CraigC

Hawkeye
ElrodCod":yu8bl80z said:
I'm neutral about this "Flat-top" business. I'm not against it, I just don't get the appeal. I find a regular sized .44 Blackhawk a bit more interesting than the mid-size frame.
In addition to the wonderful mid-sized frame, I believe the flat-top to be a more refined and elegant design. A throwback to the old Colt Flat Top Target model. It is also equipped with the all-steel Micro rear sight as opposed to the aluminum rear sight of the "eared" models.

Rclark

Hunter
I don't mind the rear sight ears. Actually, I think it was a good improvement. Only reason I picked up the 50th Anniversary versions is because of the 'historical' relation to the first ones by Ruger.... Turns out they shoot good too!

Either way it turns out ... I still might pick up a .44 Special BH if, for sure, on the medium frame....

HardBall

Bearcat
chet15":r63ymusn said:
Something interesting about the Lipsey's guns is that Ruger was hesitant to produce the model in 5-1/2", saying they didn't think it would sell. Guess the public fooled the experts....the 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" have been produced in about equal numbers.
Chet15

5-1/2" Blackhawks, both the .45 and the .44 SBH, are my favorite lengths by far. I don't know why. Even as a kid when I'd procure a new toy single action cap gun, I only wanted the ones that resembled the buck-toothed look of the 5-1/2" SAA.

gak

Buckeye
I've never (over)estimated that investment value/potential from the start, thinking (hoping?) that Ruger would do the right thing eventually--making the.44 a regular production item. I buy these things as shooters as well as to behold on a regular basis, admittedly perhaps with a notion in the back of my mind that it might have some collectibility some day,...but not holding anyone else to that. Always my responsibility, regardless of any hype the manufacturer or distributor lays on it.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Still gonna send off my 50th FT for a .44 special conversion so I can get exactly what I want.

gak

Buckeye
BlkHawk73":2wg2ipaz said:
Still gonna send off my 50th FT for a .44 special conversion so I can get exactly what I want.

I've thought the same thing with my New Vaquero, but keep hoping Ruger will step up with that too!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
gak":3luixe0x said:
BlkHawk73":3luixe0x said:

I've thought the same thing with my New Vaquero, but keep hoping Ruger will step up with that too!

I KNOW they won't offer what I want. Hence having it built. :)