44 special bullet question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hunter966

Single-Sixer
I've read about the Skeeter Load for the 44 special but I can't find any 250 Keiths locally but Cabelas has Oregon Trail Laser Cast 240 grain .431 bullets.

Does anyone think these would shoot as good as the 250 Keiths?

Thanks hunter966

Enigma

Hunter
They might; two issues with them - first, they're harder than woodpecker lips. They may or may not shoot well at Special velocities because they're so hard. Second, they're bevel-base. They may or may not shoot well at Special velocities, since the bevel base doesn't provide as good a gas seal as a flat base would. You'll never know unless you try. I lucked out, and they shoot well in my .44 Specials.

mikld

Blackhawk
The weight and design are good, but as Enigma says they are pretty hard. No need for a lead bullet to be much more than 12 BHN for use in revolvers. I've shot about .75 metric tons of Lyman's 429421 through my 5, .44 Magnums cast from wheel weight alloy (10-12 BHN) and some from "range lead" (mebbe 9-10 BHN)...

sixshot

Buckeye
You just got some good info, you'll probably want a softer bullet for your 44 special. Several of the commercial casters offer a softer alloy. Also you can now get them powder coated from several different sources if you want. The Skeeter load is a great load, I've taken a few deer with it. My everyday load in the 44 special is the same bullet you mention but 5.5 grs of 231 if you want something with a little less recoil.

Dick

Rclark

Hunter
I use Rimrock's 240g SWCs for my .44 Specials (and .44Mag too). BHN 15 or so. My favorite load is the Skeeter load. Work really well. I've shot a box of the Oregon Trail Laser Cast 240g SWCs too with no leading either (in my guns).

Slenk

Single-Sixer
https://www.google.com/search?q=cast+lead+keith+style+.431+bullets+for+sale&rlz=1I7TSNP_enUS483&gws_rd=ssl
you can find some here.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ACTUALLY, with a little testing you can deduce just how well YOUR pistol will shoot the commercial hardcast SWC/LFN style bullets. Do NOT bet against them !!! You'll find much information on loading and shooting such bullets from reading John Taffin's articles in GUNS and AH magazines. These projectiles amaze Taffin everytime he shoots 'em up against his own cast bullets. A LOT of such data is also available in his many books on handguns and their whys'n'wherefores.
BUT...you have to be willing to do the testing as NO ONE can tell you what will work best in YOUR sixguns.
And so it goes...

loaded round

Hunter
I shoot all ''Laser Cast" bullets in my revolvers and find them to be excellent accurate bullets, plus never had them lead any of my barrels. I also use ''Laser Cast'' 200 gr SWC bullets in all my 45 ACP loads.

mikld

Blackhawk
FWIW and just a thought; I'd say forget "celebrity loads". Use load data (starting loads) from your manual. After a few years experience, you can play with load data from online forums, range rats, gun counter clerks, or pet loads web sites, if you feel the need...

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Leading is usually caused by using a bullet thats a bit too soft,such as a BH of 12,usually used in black powder loads, by increasing
the velocity leading occurs.
Leading also occurs when using a too soft bullet whose diameter is also too small for the diameter of the barrel.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Slower the velocity Softer bullets.
Higher velocity harder the bullet needs to be.
Powder coat all of them and don't worry about leading.

mikld

Blackhawk
Leading is caused by improper bullet to barrel fit. No matter how hard, BHN 20 for example, if the bullet is too small, it will lead. If a bullet is too soft, it may lead, but much less often if it is sized to fit the gun (FWIW; I have fired "range lead" bullets, approx. 10 BHN to high Magnum velocities in a .357 Magnum, without leading because I had good bullet to gun fit and a decent lube)...

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
Ever since the 1940's I have use pure Beeswax as the lube for all of my cast lead bullets in our family guns. As mentioned above, the proper lube has always prevented leading the barrel of our guns. From time to time, years ago, I did try other lube materials that were mentioned by various writers. None were as successful as Beeswax. The thinner ones did not prevent all leading. The harder ones did not stay in the lube grooves of the bullets like Beeswax does.

Latest posts