.44 Special Brass Availability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
Picked up a new .44 Special last week but had some trouble finding brass. Starline was backordered and so was everyone else that I usually try. Finally stumbled across "Track of the Wolf" and they had Starline brass in stock for a reasonable price. Quick delivery too.
Tim

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Was in my LGS yesterday and noticed that the space they had for .44 Special brass is now occupied by something else. I bought their last bag probably 6 mos ago, and they've never gotten another one. Since then I've managed to pick up a couple hundred more at shows and MidwayUSA.

Also noted that .454 brass was $.80/ea (100 pieces for $79.95). :roll:

-- Sam

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Did you look into buying a box or 2 or cowboy action loaded ammo? I know it's not usually our style though.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I ordered 44 Special brass from Midway on Friday. Received it on Tuesday. :lol:

100 rd bulk pack of Starline nickel plated was in stock.

buckbeans

Bearcat
went to a store to pick up some breakfree clp and ended up with 200 clean looking 44 special starline brass for six cents a piece and 105 32 mags also for six cents apiece.
They are still out there

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I usually pick up a bag or two of 44 Sp brass at gun shows.

All this new found popularity of 44 Sp revolvers has probably had an effect on supply and demand. At least with Winchester, a lot of these calibers are not made all year round. They do a big production run once a year, and then they are all done until the next year. So an increase in popularity of any particular cartridge will have a real impact on availability. Starline is different. They make more than one run of any caliber in a year. They are pretty good about keeping up with the supply and demand curve.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I just received 500 45 Schofield cases direct from Starline, now they show out of stock. They were quick & the brass looks great. Many types of brass seemed to be out of stock, but the 'expected in' dates were not to far off.

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Another example of folks thinking us Alaskans are in a foreign country or treating us like second class citizens. :evil: Wanted to buy 200 rnds of the .44 Special brasss. No problem until you add the shipping. The brass was 36.00 and the shipping was 32.00!!!!!!! Insisted on UPS ground, which to Alaska means air rates. I'll cut .44 mag brass first. Cancelled the order. Geeez, that just burns me up. :evil: I run into a company like that and I blackball em and tell all my friends up here how they treat us. There is absolutely no excuse, especially when USPS priority mail is cheap as heck, not to mention the flate rate boxes.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
AKGrouch":33t2ea48 said:
Another example of folks thinking us Alaskans are in a foreign country or treating us like second class citizens. :evil: Wanted to buy 200 rnds of the .44 Special brasss. No problem until you add the shipping. The brass was 36.00 and the shipping was 32.00!!!!!!! Insisted on UPS ground, which to Alaska means air rates. I'll cut .44 mag brass first. Cancelled the order. Geeez, that just burns me up. :evil: I run into a company like that and I blackball em and tell all my friends up here how they treat us. There is absolutely no excuse, especially when USPS priority mail is cheap as heck, not to mention the flate rate boxes.

Hey Grouch, if you want, I'll look around and try to find the 44 Sp brass I'm sure I have laying around. Gave some to my son, but still have several boxes around somewhere I think. You can have it for the shipping cost, as I have no need for it, and you are obviously having more difficulty getting it than most of us. (I shot it in my 44 Mag when I first got the gun, but quickly found out that it not only put a 'ring around the cylinder' - from being shorter cases - but also is not really much fun to shoot compared to the Mag stuff.)

Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to find it.

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Thanks for the offer Shoot44. I'll take you up on it. Let me know what you find and how you want to do it. Right now, I have 1 1/3 boxes of brass that I just freshly tumbled. Where in the Ozarks are you? I grew up in S. Arkansas.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have not needed to buy 44 Special on the spur of the moment.

Have never had trouble getting Winchester, Remington, or Starline brass given a few days notice.

Last time I ordered direct from Starline, they told me they were backordered for quite a while but they sent me my total order within two weeks.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
AKGrouch":p67ecy42 said:
Thanks for the offer Shoot44. I'll take you up on it. Let me know what you find and how you want to do it. Right now, I have 1 1/3 boxes of brass that I just freshly tumbled. Where in the Ozarks are you? I grew up in S. Arkansas.

OK, I found 2 full boxes, and another box with 40 cases in it. Email me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. Let me know if you want the boxes as well, or just a sack full of the brass.

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Shoot44":fzy0tqua said:
AKGrouch":fzy0tqua said:

OK, I found 2 full boxes, and another box with 40 cases in it. Email me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. Let me know if you want the boxes as well, or just a sack full of the brass.

PM sent with addy. You can include the boxes if you want or not. Might make it easier to pack up. up to you though. Thanks again for your help.

pat

BenT

Bearcat
Got a call yesterday that my 44 special was in. Haven't been able to locate any brass yet. Starline says first week of May. I guess I'll be waiting a month to shoot it. :(