.44 Special Bisleys?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Did Ruger ever produce a .44 Special Bisley Blackhawk?

I love the Bisley grip, and have been getting a hankering for a .44 spl. I've got a SBHH in .44 mag, but I'm wondering if they ever did a Special, and can't find any reference to one.

I know they offered a .45 Colt one up until a few years ago, but...

-- Sam

COR

Blackhawk
I am certainly no expert but I have to say... No, never been done by Ruger.

I do like how you think!

gak

Buckeye
Ruger never made a discreet 44 Sp anything 'til the plow-handled Lipsey's special. They made the large (original/BH frame) Vaquero in .44 Mag with a Bisley grip. I haven't heard whether the new production New Vaquero Bisley gripframe is adaptable to the Lipsey's .44.BH, which is otherwise the same mid-frame size as the NV overall.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
The first Ruger Factory-made .44 Special is the one distributed by Lipsey's that's been all the rage lately. It is on the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk frame which is smaller than a standard Blackhawk.
I would think that adding a Bisley gripframe would be difficult due to this.

-Stephen

gak

Buckeye
StanMemTn: see my remark re the new(ish) New Vaquero Bisley model...and wondering whether the gripframe was adaptable to the .44 Lipsey. Same frame size (NV, 50th, etc)...so...? I would think so.

gak

Buckeye
Don't want to "just" be encouraging Lipsey's at this stage but regular Ruger production of the .44 Sp across all mid frame models! But yes, Lipseys - or Davidsons or some such - at a minimum.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Gak, I think we were typing at the same time. I didn't even think about the new Bisley's. Seems like that would work well.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
While we're encouraging Ruger, how about the New Model "Flat Tops" in .357mag and .44 special being continued in regular production with the Bisley New Vaq gripframe being available either as an option on the gun or as an after market product?

-Stephen

gak

Buckeye
+1 to all that, and including the New Vaquero in the mix for us "cowboy"/fixed sight fans. I'm combining all configurations into one in saying this is a big no-brainer; Ruger's got a sure thing here across all 50th Ann/NV framed guns.

While Ruger never mad a 44 Spec. bisley any of the gun artists can convert one to a bisley. Hamilton had pictures of the same guns only in 357 converted to bisley. I had John Gallagher do this 44 Special bisley on an original 357 flat top.
Spence-6Guns017-1.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Robb Barnes":32ch7oen said:
While Ruger never mad a 44 Spec. bisley any of the gun artists can convert one to a bisley. Hamilton had pictures of the same guns only in 357 converted to bisley. I had John Gallagher do this 44 Special bisley on an original 357 flat top.
Beautiful gun!

My problem is that I own and shoot way too many guns to start sending things off for the "custom" treatment. If I found one gun (or heck, even one caliber) that I shot all the time then I could justify spending a few hundred to perfect it. As it is I'm shooting Rugers one week, S&Ws the next, Sigs after that, then start in on the rifles.

My SBHH has been Bowen-ized, but that was before I got it. It does have a darn nice trigger, though.

Then I get into the whole, "Well, with the .44 BH do anything by .45 Colt BH won't"... I tell ya, it's tough justifying new guns... :D

-- Sam

CraigC

Hawkeye
Personally, I think the heavy and long Bisley grip frame kinda goes against the whole purpose of the .44Spl on the mid-frame. Having a smaller, lightweight, packable sixgun. Might as well be a full-sized .44Mag.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
CraigC":ojboaege said:
Personally, I think the heavy and long Bisley grip frame kinda goes against the whole purpose of the .44Spl on the mid-frame. Having a smaller, lightweight, packable sixgun. Might as well be a full-sized .44Mag.
While I see your point, offering a 7-1/2" barrel also sorta goes against the "smaller, packable" goal, too. ;)

Besides, I just don't like the plowhandle/cowboy grip. Digs into my hand, and just doesn't give me a good enough hold. I'm primarily a target shooter, so I want something that gives me a comfortable grip. I do think it looks nice, for whatever that's worth.

-- Sam

dougader

Hunter
Yosemite Sam":5d6nnj0h said:
Besides, I just don't like the plowhandle/cowboy grip. Digs into my hand, and just doesn't give me a good enough hold. I'm primarily a target shooter, so I want something that gives me a comfortable grip. I do think it looks nice, for whatever that's worth.

-- Sam

I'm with you for heavy loads. I prefer the Bisley grip for heavy 45 Colt or 44 mag.

But when I'm shooting 14k psi loads in 45 Colt, 357 mag, etc I don't have a problem with the "plowhandle" grip.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
For me it's not just about absorbing recoil, but getting a comfortable grip. I've got largish hands, and am not a big fan of the "pinky under" hold, which the plowhandle forces me into, as I can't get all my fingers on the grip.

I will admit I've never shot a .44 special in that config. .45 Colt, yes. In fact, I bought one just to try it out, and see if I could get used to it. I ended up selling it. But I still have Bisleys in .45 (convertible), .22 LR, and .44 mag (SBHH).

-- Sam