44 spec vs 44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I am not challenging 44 sp lovers, but if I load 6 grs of unique behind a 200 gr cast in a 44 spec, and the same in a 44 mag, what is the difference 12" from the barrel, except a small diff in velocity.

Is the diff real, or do you spec folks just want the spec. Which by the way is a perfectly legitimate reason to choose it. I am not mentioning the size of the gun, or the shape of the grip frame, or any other gun related, just caliber.

I mean, choosing a gun is like choosing a woman. it is all a matter of taste. :lol: :lol: :lol: (making dangerous statements.)

Chief 101

Hunter
The diference comes with the smaller size of the firearm you can make a 44 spec gun in. I love the Supers and the caliber and use 44 spec sized loads a lot but put the 44 Mag in an OM 357 Blackhawk sized revolver and the Mag turns into a beastie. JMHO. Chief aka Maxx Load

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I suspect there is no real difference except the platform it is launched from. But how come nobody makes this argument with the 38 spl and 357 mag? I think the magnum thing is very good advertising. Kind of like what is better the Toyota or the Lexus?

maxpress

Buckeye
.44 mag case is longer so your pressure will be lower so your velocity will drop off.

other than than that the .44 spec is just a lot lighter and smaller when built on a .357.

now some people have a good enough imagination to time travel because of the bullet and clothing. im not one of those. (.44mag modern .44spc cowboy)

Rclark

Hunter
if I load 6 grs of unique behind a 200 gr cast in a 44 spec, and the same in a 44 mag, what is the difference 12" from the barrel, except a small diff in velocity.
Nothing but the 'assumed' small velocity drop. Be interesting to see someone chrono this. 6g in .44 Spec case vs 6g in .44Mag case, same bullet, same gun. Curiosity only :) .

As said above, the frame can be smaller which translates into less weight when .44 Special only. Make a better pack'n revolver in some minds.... And of course there is the 'historical' side of things....

I prefer to just load my .44Mag to .44 Special velocities and call it good. My hand and ears thank me.

MK111

Bearcat
That is a interesting question. But I have never loaded .44 special loads in .44 mag cases. I always use the same bullet for both calibers and I load both cases so they never can be mixed up.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'm one who recently "discovered" the .44 Special, and I've been shooting the .44 Magnum for several years. (My avatar is me shooting a 4" Taurus .44 mag with a 185gr JHP and a whole boatload of H110.) I started shooting ultra light "special" level loads in my SBHH and really enjoyed it, so wanted to try a caliber specific gun. More importantly, it provided an excuse to buy a new gun.

That, of course, lead to me getting another, an S&W Lew Horton 624. I'd always wanted a 3" revolver, always wanted a carryable revolver whose caliber started with "4" (my 4" 25-5 would work, but it's too nice to want to carry), and this one showed up at the right time.

I did consider getting another maggy and just shooting Special level loads out of it, but it would have cost me about the same, and well, I just really wanted the Special. And that's what it's all about, no? BTW, I opened up a topic in the Reloading section about this very subject (.44 Special loads in Mag cases) back when I was making my decisions.

-- Sam

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Boyle's Law tells us that introducing the exact same amount of gas into a slightly larger volume will generate slightly less pressure. In a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder this means less force is generated. In a firearm it translates to lower velocity. How accurately you are able to measure the difference depends on many factors.

My love of 44 Special is because a lot of my 44s were made decades before the 44 Magnum existed. I just love big old N frame Smiths.

MK111

Bearcat
I have had the Lew Horton S&W 624 in 3" since it came out. It is one neat little gun. I also have the S&W 396 3" alloy pistol. Now that is one neat little pistol.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
This goes along with the question...how can I "dye" the Special brass black or something so I can keep my loads visually different from my Maggie loads?
Maybe Brownells has something...
sonnytoo

MK111

Bearcat
Keeping the loads seperate is the reason I load only .44 mag loads in .44 mag cases and .44 special loads in .44 special cases. It is impossible to mix them up.

Hokie73

Bearcat
I don't think Boyle's Law can be applied to hydraulics Driftwood. :D
It the same comparison as 38 Special (non +P) and 357. You can have a smaller lighter gun in 44 Special caliber. You can shoot light loads out of the Magnum gun.
Why can't I have a 44 Special New Vaquero?

maxpress

Buckeye
the esiest way i have found to keep "special" loads and "maggies" seperate is with a bingo dawber on the base (headstamp). i load 240gr swc at 900fps and i dawb em blue. when i load the 1400fps stuff i daub em red.

hookie: you can have a .44 new vaquero. just buy .357 and have it bored out

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I prefer to compare full power rounds against full power rounds.

Hence full power .44 special v/s full power .44 magnum.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Brownells carries "BRASS BLACK" by Birchwood Casey, for about six bucks, but is considered hazardous shipping so UPS is twice that price. Guess I'll look for something at gun show.
sonnytoo

Dale53

Blackhawk
For years I have had both .44 Specials (a Model 24 S&W 6½", a Model 624 S&W 4", a Model 624 S&W 6½", and a Cimarron 4 3/4") and .44 Magnums (Model 29 S&W 8 3/8" with scope and a Ruger Red Hawk 7½" scoped along with a 4" Model 629 S&W).

I used just a few loads. The .44 Special was always loaded with the Skeeter load (250 gr Keith ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique).

The .44 Magnum practice load was 23.0 grs of H110 and a 250 gr Keith. My hunting load was 24.0 grs of H110 and a 250 gr Keith. I never downloaded the .44 mags as I had the .44 Specials for that.

The S&W .44 Specials weighed about a ½ lb less than the .44 mag counterparts and were more comfortable to pack on the trail. The .44 Mags were terrific hunting tools (in my case whitetail deer).

Now, I recently bought a couple of Rugers - a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and a .44 Lipsey Special. Since they both are "all steel" the weight difference is not much even tho' the .44 Special is built on the old .357 frame size. The .44 Special has a 5½" barrel and the 50th has a 6½" barrel.

I still have great interest and respect for the .44 Special. Guess it's nostalgia that has me thinking of Elmer (Keith) and the .44 Special.

I've really gone off the tracks, these days, and am actually shooting a light target load in the .44 Lipsey Special with much enjoyment (4.2 grs of Clays behind a 250 gr Keith):

img063.jpg

This was shot standing at 25 yards a few days ago.

You gotta love the .44's, both Specials and Magnums.

Dale53

MK111

Bearcat
I have shot with Dale53 for over 30 years now. I shoot both .44 special and .44 mag. However I load 200 gr full WC in the .44 special only and load either a 240 or 310 gr in the .44 mag. I never change up between the two.
I always felt if you are going to shoot a .44 mag then shoot a full load. If you are going to shoot a .44 special then shoot a mild load. This is the reason I own several pistols and they all serve their purpuse. I don't use the same pistol for several purpuses. Just the way I do it.
I also realize everyone can't do it my way but so be it.

Latest posts