.44 spc sp101 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maxpress

Buckeye
ok so i really like the lipsey .44 made from a .357

just picked up another sp101 in 3" this week. hmmm

so have the guys on this board that do conversions know if its a good idea (or even possible) to rebore and chamber an sp101 to .44spl.

maxpress":1ipwwtz7 said:
ok so i really like the lipsey .44 made from a .357

just picked up another sp101 in 3" this week. hmmm

so have the guys on this board that do conversions know if its a good idea (or even possible) to rebore and chamber an sp101 to .44spl.

I am sure you could do it, but I think it would be a 4 shot revolver. If Ruger increased the frame size and all to be a 5 shooter that it would rival the S & W 696. Great idea, BTW. :D

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I've read that converting a GP-100 to 44 special is a serious chore. So much that I don't know of a smith that does the conversion. I believe Mr. Bowen has done one, but the story I've heard is that he will not do any more. Mr. Clements does a 10mm conversion on a GP-100 (or it states that on his website)

I'm not sure the 44 special conversion can be done on the sp-101 platform. I sure haven't seen one, and I don't see anybody advertising one. Sure would be nice though.

~c.r.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I looked at the conversion at the shop a while back. I agree that it could be done but most of the parts would have to be completely machined primarily the cylider. A barreel blank could be amde to work easy enough but I could not find any cylinder blank that would accomodate the change. It would have to be built from bar stock which would drastically increase the timeinvovled. Steve

maxpress

Buckeye
steveinaz":2ykg8az1 said:
Why anyone would convert a .357mag to 10mm is a mystery to me. To each his own I guess.

its a power bump to between the .357 and .41mag. if ya wanna speed load like jerry michulek then i imagine the conversion would use moon clips. and just to have something a little different. sounds fun.

a 10mm sp101. hmmm...arrrrrg trying not to add another caliber to my collection :shock: finally got down to just .357, .44, and .40 for reloading. hey a .40 sp101 would be cool but i guess 10mm revolvers shoot .40 anyway. :D

mt

Single-Sixer
I always wanted a Ruger Speed Six converted to 44 Spec. I used to see them back in the 70's or 80's, I thought they were the best thing since the wheel. At the time I was always broke.

mt

tek4260

Buckeye
I passed on a stainsless round butt security or speed six at a gunshow that was a 5 shot 44 special done by Alpha Precision for $500. Looked as new with stag grips :cry:

About 3 months before I joined here and didn't know what I had in my hands. Didn't like it because the hammer had been bobbed.....

c.r.

Single-Sixer
mt":kygvc3y0 said:
I always wanted a Ruger Speed Six converted to 44 Spec. I used to see them back in the 70's or 80's, I thought they were the best thing since the wheel. At the time I was always broke.

mt

MT, I actually handled a Speed Six a couple of weeks ago, and I imediately thought that would be the perfect platform for a 44 spec. conversion.

maxpress

Buckeye
tek4260":2ksx5nuf said:
I passed on a stainsless round butt security or speed six at a gunshow that was a 5 shot 44 special done by Alpha Precision for $500. Looked as new with stag grips :cry:

About 3 months before I joined here and didn't know what I had in my hands. Didn't like it because the hammer had been bobbed.....

oh man, woulda snatched that up in a heartbeat and ordered a new hammer. i know that was before you were "in the know"

Landric

Bearcat
I would love to see Ruger set up the SP101 for .44 Special. If Charter Arms can do it, there is no reason Ruger cannot. The CA Bulldog has a larger cylinder than the SP, but overall is about the same size. I would buy a .44 Special SP in a heartbeat.