.44 Snake shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huntnfool

Bearcat
I have had alot of runnins with rattlers while mining. Normally, I just smash'em with rocks because I dont want to throw .44 bullets at them and have rock fragments spray back. Does anyone have experience with snake shot out of a redhawk. How does it work. Is it in anyway harmful to the revolver/riflings or forcing cone.

Sturgell

Bearcat
Give me a few days to get some extra brass and I will write up a thread on how to load your own for around 5 cents a round.

I know they work really well out of my 2 inch Taurus 357 and they perform OK out of my 4 inch GP100.

gak

Buckeye
No experience with Redhawks but all manner of single actions from .44 Ruger Vaqueros (BHs) to Colts, USFAs and Italians, as well as DA .357s--and should be virtually same out of your RH. Works great out to about 10 ft, 12' max--the latter footage may take two, with the second shot presumably a step closer just as a finishing touch. Either way, the critter ain't gonna like it and will not be in any real position for a reactive strike at those distances. Optimally: 6-8'. Highly recommended and no damage (in my experience).You're not going to shoot a lot of it anyway to matter, except maybe a cylinder-or-two-ful to get the distance and pattern out of curiosity. Arizona Diamondbacks and Mohaves fall pretty easy prey to these within these reasonable distances.

I predict some of folks here oddly (for a gun forum), as well as on other forums) may ballyhoo about how they just use a rock or shovel, with some "...no need for a gun" statement. Though I've done my share of same when caught unprepared, I don't need that kind of intimate encounter, thanks, especially if it's closer yet. And they don't need to be "just left alone, you're in their country" either, especially if encountered in camp, anywhere around loved ones or along a trail frequented by two leggeds--or as you might find, around your workplace. This philosophy sometimes--again oddly--from folk who think nothing about lopping off the head of some unsuspecting--and comparatively innocent-- prairie dog at 300 yards for fun. End of rant :)

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I had the same question today...Got a great answer from" Bucks Owin"/Dennis...Im am sure he will chime in later. Pretty good answer IMHO :D

single action

Single-Sixer
the cci shotshells work almost to well...I shot a great basin rattler with the intention of using its skin, the snake was coiled and i shot. To close and the shot did not disperse and i put a hole in the snake through each coil... about four holes a little bit bigger then .44 inchs, shot the heck out of the poor skin. Yes and it killed the snake. sa

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I've used the CCI shot shells in 44 and 357, made my own in 45 colt. Works like a charm on prairie rattlers hiding in prairie dog holes. :)

The plastic shot shells contain the pellets pretty good so no leading. In the 45 I used a 454 black powder ball to cap off the shot. The lead ball is pretty soft and I do get some leading with it.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I prospect Nevada as well.

For the same reasons as you, I carry the CCI shotshells (22 magnum, 38/357, 44, 45 Colt, & 45 ACP) and they work well out to about 15 feet.

I also bought the Speer shot caps that you can use to roll your own, but the facts are the CCI works well enough (and as well, I seldom need to use them) that I've never actually had the need to try out the Speer caps.

Frankly I don't like betting my bacon on a 22 magnum vs a big ol' grandaddy rattler. The larger shot sizes (calibers) are more effective - but noly out to about 15 feet... not much beyond that.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
My local gunshop owner once explained to me that the plastic capsule contains the shot as it passes down the barrel, so the shot never touches the bore.

Jeff

SBH4628

Blackhawk
smoke-eater...I'm sure that is true....But I have a problem getting them in this town...I can get them 50 miles one way..Just not worth the trip.But I do have some older Speer yellow empties

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
huntnfool":2n19les6 said:
I have had alot of runnins with rattlers while mining. Normally, I just smash'em with rocks because I dont want to throw .44 bullets at them and have rock fragments spray back. Does anyone have experience with snake shot out of a redhawk. How does it work. Is it in anyway harmful to the revolver/riflings or forcing cone.

You don't want rock fragments spraying back? How do you feel about a half dozen shot pellets bouncing back and hitting you in the face?
Sorry. I guess that sounded kinda smart ass. But I had it happen while trying to determine how a .44 shotshell patterned on a newspaper stapled to a tree 10 feet away. I figure the only thing that saved my left eye was the lens in the safety glasses I was wearing. The left, plastic lens in those safety glasses was badly dented, and I wore several other little blood-blister like bruises on my forehead for a week to remind me of THAT stupid stunt.
Shooting at a snake on the ground is one thing, but I'd be awfully careful about shooting at one amonst the rocks. Those shot pellets WILL bounce back if they hit something hard. In some cases, admittedly not all, a thrown rock, a big stick, or a shovel is a safer way to deal with a dangerous snake.

huntnfool

Bearcat
It sounds like these will work for me. It will be nice to have everything I need in one cylinder. Usually, I find that I'm loaded for two or four legged snakes when the legless ones show-up and vise-versa. I've never considered the shotshells before now. I'll pick-up some CCI rounds and try them. Thanks for the quick responses.

doccash

Buckeye
I shoot handloads in my Ruger .44-40 Vaquero has stunning results on rattlers [no bounce backs] However, I must load them single shot fashion or the capsules come out of the case and spills #9 shot and powder from the adjacent cylinders. Dr.C :shock:

huntnfool

Bearcat
Sharp Shooter, you are right, and as the saying goes, S#$@ Happens. A person needs to way his options and consider things like background and backstop and decide if an alternate means such as rock or stick should be considered. And all things considered, accidents occur and the unexpected can always happen, but at least I know I have another option available if needed. I know this is unrelated to our discussion but on the topic of snakes, this happened. -- Two years ago, I decided not to shoot a snake when I brought a friend out to my claim. My friend decided that the snake was not a threat and should be left alone as he felt the snake was only looking for a mouse and would not bother us. He had brought his healer (dog) with him that day and while we discussed weather or not to kill the snake, it went down a badger hole. He stated to me, see, arent you glad you let him go. Two days later, he came back to see how I was doing, and that snake, near the same spot, bit his dog. The dog did not survive. At least he saved that friendly little snake..

varminter22

Single-Sixer
For many years, I've made my own .32 H&R Mag shotshells. Its easy and VERY effective.

Using a case mouth chamfering/deburring tool, sharpen a case mouth.

Chuck that case into a drill and cut out a bunch of "wads" from cardboard tablet backing. Push 'em out with a paper clip through the flash hole (or better yet, drill out the flash hole to a larger diameter and use a punch, etc to push out the freshly cut wads.)

Charge primed cases with a medium to healthy dose of your favorite powder. Seat an over powder wad.

Fill with your favorite small shot. Years ago, I bought a 25 lb bag of #12 shot - a lifetime supply for handgun shotshell reloading! I also load a few with #7.5 or #8 shot.

Seat an over shot wad. Apply a fairly heavy roll crimp.

Voila! You're done.

If you load one or two shotshells into your revolver followed by four or five full power bullet loads and shoot the full power loads with the shotshells in the chamber(s), the recoil MAY (probably will) unseat the over shot wads and you'll lose your shot. I use glue to seal the over shot wads - and it seems to work quite well.

Give it a try. I bet you'll be pleased.

huntnfool

Bearcat
Varminter22, Thanks, this sounds very simple. I'll copy and save it. I load all my own rifle ammo but haven't started loading pistol yet, although I do have a few sets of dies waiting to be used.

Sturgell

Bearcat
That is the same way I do it, at 2 steps every pellet was inside a paper plate with the slightly tighter pattern going to the my 2 inch gun at 3 yards they were pretty spread out with the better of the patterns going to the 2 inch gun as well.

For wads I cut them out of a 12 pack box then put a dab of glue on the top of the top wad and give it a pretty heavy roll crimp.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
It's pretty hard to improve on the CCI shotshells IMO. I once spent the better part of a month messin' with homegrown shot cartridges in both .357 and .44 mags. Didn't use the capsules, I made over/under wads of various materials and #8 chilled shot. Best wads I made were from thin corklike material used for toolbox drawer liners and best results were with fast powders (eg 700X, PB etc) but velocity held to under 1000 fps. The shorter the barrel used, the better IMO. A dab of glue and a light crimp will make them "pocket proof". The experimenting was fun, but I finally decided that for the amount of ammo I actually needed for rattlers that I'd just stick with CCI factory loads. They perform excellent, in particular the .45 LC load. (I load one of these for the FIRST round for "nightstand use", followed by 225 gr Silvertips) One note of caution, eye protection is mandatory when shooting these shotshells at the ground at "snake range". Some shot can bounce back to sting you from any hard object they strike on the ground! :wink: FWIW, Dennis (BTW, the capsules don't lead the barrel like a dozen rds of my homegrowns did either...)

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Thanks Dennis...Great post :D
I seem to remember a few years ago of a load that started with powder,then a gas check,then shot,then another gas check on top.
Ever seen that?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
SBH4628":shur07cg said:
Thanks Dennis...Great post :D
I seem to remember a few years ago of a load that started with powder,then a gas check,then shot,then another gas check on top.
Ever seen that?
Don't see why not amigo. I didn't try that but it would let you have a bigger payload than mine too come to think of it. Maybe I'll mess around with that idea in .45 LC for ya before you get hip deep in rattlers!.... :wink:

SBH4628

Blackhawk
No snadlerakes here...just a stand on the lawn chair wife. Kinda funny if you ask me :lol: But if she sees one she will not go outside for days :(