.44 Snake shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I load .44 and .38 shot shells using CCI plastic shot capsules, #8 shot and Red Dot powder. Use a moderate amount of powder -- too much blows holes in the pattern. The 44s are devastating!! The 38s are deadly.

Honestly however, .22 rimfire shot shells work just as well on our Prairie Rattlers @ 5 feet or so and the #12 shot would be less apt to bounce back and "Put Your Eye Out"!!

gak

Buckeye
I've had very good luck with 38/357 and 44 CCI. I just hope (baited breath) they'll finally come out with some .32 H&R based shotshell. They've stated before "not enough market" or words to that effect. Maybe the .327 developments will put some more wood on that fire.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Make your own for the 327 gak, you get all that extra case length anyway :) As some one else said, a sharpened case makes a great tool to cut out wads. Cereal box, 12 pack boxes and the likes make great wadding material. I've seen 32 gas checks which would be nice for capping it off but you could cap off with another wad.

I do like the CCI capsules if you want to play around with loads. I can tell by looking which one I loaded with BB's or #7 :)

gak

Buckeye
Appreciate the reply. May try that sometime. Gf doesn't like this stuff (ok with guns n such) atound the house; father got hurt in face making mistake/bad judgment so doesn't trust despite arguments of "will be careful!"

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Just found this old thread. Because I only had shot shells loaded with 44 Magnum cases, I needed to work up a shot shell load for my 44 Special BlackHawk. I had no Red Dot, which I used to use for CCI shot shell capsules , so I tried 7.5 grains of Alliant Power Pistol with 7 1/2 shot. CCI doesn't show Power Pistol in its suggested loads, so I tried 7.5 grains based upon their suggested loaded of 6.7 grains of Unique.

This is a good combination. The loaded capsule weighs 140 grains. At 8 feet all the shot stays within a 10" circle and is spread pretty evenly. Penetration is more than adequate. If I changed anything it would be to use #8 or even #9 shot (which would duplicate CCI's factory load) as penetration would still be fine and the pattern would contain even more shot. This load is a good one, though, and is more than what is needed for our Prairie Rattlers.

PS: CCI recommends 1.6" COAL and this allows the capsule to be loaded without compacting the Power Pistol 7.5 grain charge, but not by much.

gak

Buckeye
Looks good. The factory stuff has proved more than adequate for our diamondbacks and Mohaves in Arizona -- some of which get pretty big - especially the d-backs -- but yours would seem to be reliably good out to a few more feet...the farther (and more certain) the better as far as I'm concerned :)

Pal Val

Buckeye
Good idea, the handgun shotshells. My hunting buddy took a swing with a machete at a timber rattler some 15 years ago and the rattler was quicker. He's alive right now because it turned out to be a "dry" bite. Still, he got a nasty infection in his hand.

I load a .357 mag with CCI shotshells. No need to get in close enough to get bitten. So far, I haven't needed to shoot any, but it's better to be on the safe side, specially when scouting the woods in early Fall. You run into some pretty big snakes up there.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Please don't laugh.

There is room in the case between the powder and a lighter bullet. The powder doesn't fill the case in my 44S or 45LC.

Can't we just load the normal powder charge, insert a powder wad, add the #12 shot, add the bullet and then crimp?

I saw an advertisement for a self-defense load that had a combination of pellets and disks. My approach could work too.

Dave

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I loaded the CCI capsules in my .44 mag cases filled with 7 1/2 shot.

Lit it off with a modest charge of Red Dot.

Launched with a 7.5" Redhawk.

Even skinned up gray digger squirrels with it. Had more range than I thought it would.

I have shot .38 factory loads in a .357 handgun and a Marlin rifle and found the .38 bore to a big disappointment.

For snakes at close range the .38's would likely be OK but other than that .......... make mine a .44 (better still would be a .45!)

Three 44s

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a good deal of experience using Speer shot capsules (they are the same as CCI - owned by the same company, by the way) in .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum and .45 Auto Rim/.45 Colt.

They work extremely well. I MUCH prefer fine shot - my first choice is #12. It does better work at the ranges that are effective.

.38's work just fine. However, sometimes I carry .44's and sometimes .45's.

I put two in line with solids in the four chambers following.

Dale53

jackruff

Bearcat
varminter22 said:
For many years, I've made my own .32 H&R Mag shotshells.

I've done this for .357 magnum cases. Almost exactly the way you describe. Works great. A drop of Elmer's carpenter's glue over the top wad keeps everything in the case. I'm thinking about trying it for .32 S&W Long because my little H&R revolver in that caliber is so handy to carry around while creek fishing; it's much lighter than the SP101 that I shoot the .357 shotshell reloads in.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I have used shot shells for more than 25 years without a problem. I have never made my own but the method is interesting. I would worry about waterproofing a home made shell.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have a good deal of experience with shot shells for handguns in .38/357 and in .22 cal. The reason I have no experience with .44s is that the .22s work so well on rattlers and others if need be. What I have learned: The # 12 (or whatever shot they put in .22s just melts snakes in their tracks. Expect some thrashing about with larger shot, although lethal. If you roll your own, go with the small shot. The CCI/Speer capsules usually back out upon recoil and tie up a revolver. I have had the capsule back out in my ,38 snub nose just from carry. A drop of glue might stop this , but I would not trust glue to hold recoil. I habitually feel for the capsule now and push it back in (first round up) if need be. A rattler and an armadillo (wrecking havoc with the flower bed,) both escaped while I sorted out the problems in the past. the .22lr has no such problem. Good luck, Jack

jackruff

Bearcat
The .357 cases with the glued top wad avoid the problem with the plastic cases. The smallest shot I have is #9 which I have taken out of some shotgun shells. I'd like to have some #12 but don't know where to get any. They still work but I'd prefer the smaller shot. I have also had good experience in the past with .22 shotshells. Around here we call them ratshot and they do work on a rat!

Dale53

Blackhawk
Ballistic Products used to carry #12 shot but don't show it any longer on their web site. With the high cost of shot, in general, they may have had to cut their inventory. :(

Dale53

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Major T said:
I have a good deal of experience with shot shells for handguns in .38/357 and in .22 cal. The reason I have no experience with .44s is that the .22s work so well on rattlers and others if need be. What I have learned: The # 12 (or whatever shot they put in .22s just melts snakes in their tracks. Expect some thrashing about with larger shot, although lethal. If you roll your own, go with the small shot. The CCI/Speer capsules usually back out upon recoil and tie up a revolver. I have had the capsule back out in my ,38 snub nose just from carry. A drop of glue might stop this , but I would not trust glue to hold recoil. I habitually feel for the capsule now and push it back in (first round up) if need be. A rattler and an armadillo (wrecking havoc with the flower bed,) both escaped while I sorted out the problems in the past. the .22lr has no such problem. Good luck, Jack

If you are talking about 38/357 reloads; it IS necessary to crimp the plastic capsules in place. This is no problem; I've never broken one by crimping or had one back out; even when loading and shooting six at a time @ dens.

JTM47

Bearcat
Here is a link from the cast boolit forum about this subject that may be of interest. The author helped me make the required tools to make the capsules for .32 S&W long and .32 H&R. It's a little involved, but it is a way to increase the shot load.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77286

gak

Buckeye
Bearcat said:
... even when loading and shooting six at a time @ dens.

This sent shivers down me timbers! Even in Az, have not run across a den yet, but have heard of them.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I also think that the #12 shot in .22's works best on rattlers but I no longer pack a .22. I would be interested in finding some # 12 shot for making up .380 shotshells for the LCP. A shirt pocket snake gun might work good without tying up my primary carry gun.