44 magnum swaged bullet load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomslang

Bearcat
I bought some swaged 240 gr, .430 diameter lead bullets. They are made by the Zero bullet company out of Culman Al. After some research I don't see very many loads for them using Unique (one of the powders I have). What I do see, is a load that lists 7 grains of Unique as the max load. And the Alliant web site also lists this data:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... 2&bdid=157

That seems like very light since using 240 gr jacketed rounds I routinely shoot 9.5 grains of Unique.

Don't get me wrong, I like light loads. Less powder. More fun.

Here is the bullet:
IMG_06711.jpg

Does a lighter load cause more leading?

I will be shooting these out of a Super Blackhawk.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
A faster load will cause more leading...your max load of 7.0 Unique is in the 44 Special range.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
7.6 grs of Universal Clays under either a cast or swaged 240 gr bullet works well for me at the indoor range that doesn't allow full power Magnum loads. :)

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know how this would apply to your swaged "Zero" bullets but.....

My Speer #9 manual shows a charge range of 7.0-8.0 of Unique when used with a SPEER swaged-lead, .430 Dia., 240 SWC in a .44Mag case. And FWIW, they used CCI standard primers and a Ruger 7-1/2" SBH while developing that recomendation.

The reason you're seeing lighter loads recomended for a swaged bullet is because they are a bunch softer than typical commercialy-cast bullets. That, and all the swaged bullets that I've ever seen come coated some sort of mystery-lube which aint intended for magnum pressures.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Chief 101

Hunter
I would stick with the 6-7 gr unique idea, anymore than that will make trouble. I have used that loading in the years past with no leading and good accuracy in my Supers. Chief aka Maxx Load

boomslang

Bearcat
I shot this load tonight. 7 grs Unique CCI 300 regular primer.

Superbly accurate. A little on the smoky side. I have read that Unique at lower loads burns less efficiently and will be a bit smoky. I believe it.

I actually kinda like it. It harks back to the old days. They don't call it gun smoke for nothing. :D