44 Maggie & Water Jugs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Continuing my testing with HP slugs & water jugs moved up a notch today, I ran some powder coated 250 gr. Keith HP's over 1500 fps out of my 10 1/2" 44 maggie.
Now, before all the pilgrims start running out of the bushes saying, no, no, no, you can't prove anything with water jugs, let me go over it one more time....you can! Water jugs give you a consistent density, its repeatable & most all of the major ammunition manufactures do expansion tests in water drums where they can retreive the expanded bullets, although many have went to ballastic gel for expansion testing.
Again, its not flesh & bone, hide, hair, heavy muscle or a paunch full of 30 pounds of wet feed, it is not the same as water, yippeee!
Today I really amped things up with my 10 1/2" 44 & 21 grs of old 2400 & a 250 gr. Keith HP from a Miha mould. These HP's weigh the same as a solid from most Lyman type moulds.
I took a bear a few years ago with this exact same setup, got complete penetration with an exit & a dead bear in 5-6 seconds. The bullet on the bear was a softnose cast & not powder coated, but everything is still pretty much the same.
Today I used 3 water jugs & a backer with 8" of newspaper packed tight inside. Callshot wasn't with me today & I had to do my own filming, hope it turns out. The bullet didn't hit the center of the paper so it went all the way through on the edge. I should have made sure things were aligned a bit better.
I also took a nice 4X4 muley with this same bullet last fall, complete penetration with an exit at 94 yds.
This first photo is a video, you will have to click on it to start.

This 5 shot group is my long time control load using a regular lubed bullet (LBT Blue) 25 yds offhand, with my left forearm against a post.

When I switched to the powder coated bullets I sat down & shot from the Elmer Keith position. Anytime you change a component in a load you have to shoot a few shots to season the barrel & get the group to settle down & go to "sleep", this is a classic example. I went from a normal lubed bullet to a powder coat & the group started out shooting a bit left for the first 4 shots, the next four stopped on the dot.

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Hmmm...Can't see the photos :?

Try FROZEN water jugs...(A Glen Fryxell trick I think.. :wink: )

I've done a lot of testing in various mediums, waterjugs, wet sawdust, wet and dry newsprint...Currently use a 48 qt ice chest filled with wet phonebooks as a bullet trap/expansion tester...Not ideal but saves the lead at least! :lol:

Seems to me most important thing is velocity. Needs to be around 1100+ fps for reliable results with "expanding" (jacketed) handgun bullets...

Two centavos...

stevemb

Hunter
I remember being the first in my gang to get a .44mag., a SBH in '81. The first box of ammo were Federal 180 HP's. I hung a gallon milk jug full'a water from a pole out back, and KaBoomie ! Friends were appropriatly amazed and soon went out and bought their own .44mags. Strangely they bought S&W's. I eventually forgave them. One of them even bought a .41mag Smith. He's on his second bad marriage, you figure it out. LOL.

Jim Puke

Hunter
stevemb said:
The first box of ammo were Federal 180 HP's.
First deer I killed with a handgun was back in the 80's, it was shot with this Federal 180 from a 10" Contender and for some reason it performed like sixshot's water jug bullet. It really made a mess of that deer and impressed everyone that saw it. The bullet never performed in that manner again, for me...it just put them down. That is the thing that I dislike about jacketed hollow point bullets for handgun hunting...in my overall experience, inconsistent performance. However, bullet technology has come a long way since I last used them, so they are probably better now.

RR

Bearcat
Nice shooting, I'm a bit on the blind side so I have to use a scope albeit only a 2X Leupold M8

deac45

Single-Sixer
snappy said:
Those jugs just about vaporized! :shock: Better start wearing your slicker! :D

I think Sixshot's reaction at about 1:07 pretty much sums it up! :shock: :lol:

Deac45