.44 Mag with Barnes XPB Bullet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Hope someone has some experience with these solid copper Barnes 225 gr. bullets in the .44 Mag. I tried to load some up today and found that the length of the bullet, from the flat base to the cannalure (approx. .56 in.) is too long to permit seating it on top of a "moderate" charge of W296, I.e. 23.0 gr. At 23.0 gr. (or more) W296 fills the case to a level that will not permit this bullet to seat to the cannalure. Barnes on-line data does not list W296. In fact they only list two powders, "No. 9" and "Enforcer" neither of which I have and in fact have never used and know nothing about. I assume No 9 is Alliant? But can't find it in their catalog. Who makes No 9? Who makes Enforcer? Anyone had experience with these bullets? What powder? I don't need advice like "you can't do that" as I've already figured that part out. I'll send a note to Barnes to see what they may suggest. Helpful comments much appreciated. Gerry

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I use H-110 with my barnes 44mag loads. The info came with the bullets. #9 is accurate arms powder. Do not use data for regular bullets for barnes bullets. If you can barnes you may get info on 296. I use the 200gr bullet in my 44 as you have to consider that the barnes bullet will act like a reg bullet that is 30% heavier than the barnes bullet. The barnes pistol bullets work excellent. Enforcer powder is made by a seperate company and I have their catalog here. I have to leave now but if you want info I have PM me or I will try to post it when I get back.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
That's the reason I have abandoned the 44 for hunting out here in CA and taken up the old 45 Colt (well, not completely, I still love my SBH :wink: ). Those long Barnes bullets sure take up the space, but I have used both Enforcer and 296 in them. Brian Pearce has some good information on loading the XPBs in the December 2006 Handloader (no. 244) and uses enforcer, h110, 2400 and lilgun (and yes, packs only 21.5gr of H110 in there, and yes, it is a mild load but still gets 1,402 fps out of a NMBH Bisley with 5.5" barrel).

I first got some Enforcer when I started loading the Barnes XPBs and had a rough time with it at first. A lot of the data out there shows using standard primers, but the Ramshot Manual lists magnum primers as far as I can find, and in specific the Federal 155 in the 44 mag (Barnes uses WLPs). Using the mag primers really helped me get the velocities more consistent and I wound up really liking the powder and now I pick it up when I find a good deal on it. I like it in the 357 Mag also, but the 45 Colt has enough capacity that I prefer H110/296.

I like Barnes, but in the 44, I only use them specifically for hunting in CA since they are expensive and kinda weak compared to the 45 Colt loads that Pearce has in the same article. I load the 44s up with Enforcer and pack them away. Even the loads in the Barnes manual are compressed.

Like Divernhunter said, the 200 grain XPBs are nice and might be a viable option, but my main game are the larger hogs and I like having the 250gr .45 XPB load that Pearce lists in his article! :D

Also, here is the link to the Ramshot page:
http://www.ramshot.com/powders/
The load guide is a pdf file with a link on the left hand side of the page.

Let us know what works out for you.

ps. It's worth getting a back issue of that Handloader if you're a Ruger nut, Pearce really puts the XPBs through their paces and has an article on loading for the .44 Flattop and Mike Venturino has a great article on black powder cartridge loads, including the .44-40 and the .45 Colt. Pearce also discusses the effect chambers and throats have on accuracy, etc...

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
OK, thanks guys, I think I'm learning something here. If I consider the 225 gr. Barnes roughly equivalent to a 300 gr. jacketed bullet (30% heavier) I should be in a "start" range of 18 gr. of W296. (?) This I think would be workable with this bullet. I sent a note to Barnes and will wait for their reply. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Gerryb158,
I think when Divernhunter mentioned the 30% rule, it was in reference to bullet performance in game and terminal ballistics, and not to try to calculate powder charges for it. However, the Barnes staff have been really helpful with me and have forwarded on additional information with my e-mail requests!

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Barnes Bullets did reply to my inquiry and provided load data with several other powders for the 225 gr. XPB bullet. They listed H110, IMR4227, W296, 2400, and Blue Dot. So all is not lost and I don't have to go shopping for "Enforcer" just yet. :D I'll considr that though. The Barnes XPB is a work-of-art and I am looking forward to trying them in my Blackhawk. Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Gerry

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
You will find that they work very,very well on game. The pistol bullet is the same bullet as they use for the muzzle loader set-up except it has a crimping groove. The muzzle loader bullet combo is the very best we have found for muzzle loading and we tried most others for muzzle loading. Deer hit with it go down like they were struck with lightning. Never had to track one or fire a second shot. With max loads in a pistol they will be doing about the same speed as a muzzle loader. The bullets are a bit costly for everyday target shooting but will be really good for hunting. I have not shot a hog yet with one but they will do well from my expierence on other game. The one ground squirrel I did shoot with one died very quickly.

Denny

Single-Sixer
I purchased a box of 20 for $18.99 and plan to use it in my Ruger Carbine for deer. The plan is 17.0 grains of 2400 for approx 1248 FPS That was out of a handgun but should do the job in Indiana on deer

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
XAA9.jpg

Here is your #9 load data from the Accurate website.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Barnes XPB Bullets 44 Remington Magnum
Barrel: 8.275" ■ Twist: 1-20" ■ Primer: WIN WLP ■ Bullet Dia.: .429"
No. 9 ----200gr BAR XPB ----18.9gr---- 1,382fps ----21.0gr ----1,535fps ----35,522psi ----1.591"
No. 9 ----225gr BAR XPB ----16.2gr ----1,184fps ----18.0gr ----1,315fps ----35,562psi ----1.604"

...Jimbo

bafrank3poc

Bearcat
The cylinder in my Ruger Redhawk will allow seating the bullet MUCH further out which allows full charges of 296. I have requested Barnes to provide a second cannelure, but I have been loading the 200 and 225 gr. bullets with a taper crimp and checked the cylinder airer every shot to make sure hat the bullets in the other chambers haven't moved in their cases. So far, it has worked well.