44 MAG vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I picked it up saturday shot it today.WOW this thing kicks like a mule first round it almost jumped out of my hand. Please any suggestions on how to handle this monster ( new name for it ) would be great.I do like this gun but if I can't get a handle on it, it might be more show than go.I don't have any problems shooting my GP100 357 4" but thats probably because its a different style.There was one thing I really liked about it was when I was shooting it most everybody on the range looking to see what kind of a cannon I was firing LOL :shock: .One question how can I tell when this gun was made,thanks ,dusterman
0822092239.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, a PROPER grip for the SA revolver is different than one for a DA revolver. Look at the grip design. Notice how the SA is small at the top,,,,and larger at the base??? It's supposed to "roll" in your hands as you shoot. A lot of folks with bigger hands or longer fingers etc will place the pinky under the bottom of the grip as well to help control it. Of course you should be using 2 hands,, (at least until you master it,) when shooting. With your srtong hand,, extend your trigger finger,, then pick up the gun with the rest of your hand. Wrap your hand around the grip while keeping your trigger finger alongside the frame. Next,,, place your weak hand's heel into the space between your strong hands fingertips, and heel. Wrap your weak hand thumb over your strong hand thumb. Wrap your four fingers of your weak hand around your strong hand fingers.
When you shoot it,, ALLOW it to recoil or roll upward somewhat. Use a firm,, but NOT high tension grip with your two hands. (Basically don't fight the recoil but control it.
Practice with 44 spls (if you can find some,) as this will help the learning curve as well.
As for the year of mfg. The website may NOT be correct,, even if it is the factory site. Post most of the serial number here & we can look it up in the RENE.

I have a .44 mag. Vaquero also. Mine has a 7 1/2" barrel. I also have a SBH in .44 mag. with a 4 5/8" barrel. I shoot mostly reloads in them so I can adjust the amount of recoil. Contender's advice is excellent. My target reloads are about the same as a .44 Spec. The availability and cost of factory ammo makes reloading attractive.

Grampie not Grumpie,

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Thank you gentlemen for your advice I will try that grip next time I take it shooting.As I said I really do like this gun and I know its only my first SA. As for 44 spl I can't remember the last time I saw some, thanks again,dusterman

gak

Buckeye
Re 44 Special availability,... and when was the last time you saw .44 Mag (or .357/.38, etc.)? :) Enjoy your 44 Vaquero, it's a great piece.

D R Greysun

Bearcat
Dusterman":2ljvzpa5 said:
I picked it up saturday shot it today.WOW this thing kicks like a mule first round it almost jumped out of my hand. Please any suggestions on how to handle this monster ( new name for it ) would be great.I do like this gun but if I can't get a handle on it, it might be more show than go.I don't have any problems shooting my GP100 357 4" but thats probably because its a different style.There was one thing I really liked about it was when I was shooting it most everybody on the range looking to see what kind of a cannon I was firing LOL :shock: .One question how can I tell when this gun was made,thanks ,dusterman

Let me guess you bought the Vaquero because you wanted a 'Cowboy' gun. Introduce yourself to Trail Boss or some such powder made for light loads. 'Cowboys' don't shoot the heavy stuff or and this will spoil your day:
SBH1sml.jpg

well used as you can see! Two hands dose wonders for recoil control just be mindful of off-hand placement.

D R

Hokie73

Bearcat
I think my Vaquero is the most comfortable single action 44 for me to shoot with magnums in stock trim. I prefer at least a 6-1/2" barrel. I'm not particularly fond of the XR3 grip on my 50th 44. I can't stand the dragoon grip on the SBH. The Hunter has the perfect grip, but I don't do scopes on handguns. In addition, both my 44 Vaqueros have been really accurate.
I think you might just need to shoot some specials, or at least some 200 - 210 grain Magnums instead of the 240s until you get a little more used to the big guns versus the 357s you were shooting.
If you decide to try a Smith 29, better wear gloves. If you try a Mountain Gun, make sure your health insurance is paid up.

Rclark

Hunter
... for 44 spl I can't remember the last time I saw some
I just load my .44 Mag brass with .44 Spec velocity loads.... Currently that is 8.5g of Unique pushing 240g SWC . Very pleasant to shoot....

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I have four of these beasts, 4 with 4 5/8, two with 7 1/2. With the wussy loads that I ususally shoot all 4, which by the way have square back trigger guards, are a pleasure to shoot. Heavy loads are not shot by me in the shortys. the 7 1/2 take all loads and are fun to shoot. Here is a pic of the 44 choir

IMG_0121.jpg

rtl

Single-Sixer
Exactly as Contender said.
I don't have big hands, but when I fire with one handed, mostly for fun or to see what I can do, I keep the pinky under the grip. This reduces the roll a bit and adds some rise.
Love those .44 Vaqueros. Even if you never get to where you like shooting full magnums out of it, keep it for .44 specials. Fun!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hokie73":2djtwj3x said:
I can't stand the dragoon grip on the SBH. The Hunter has the perfect grip, but I don't do scopes on handguns.

The Hunter and Super grip frames share grip panels. :D

I also like to wear a shooting glove when shooting "hot loads".

flatgate

Hokie73

Bearcat
I know the panels are the same flatgate, but that square triggerguard kills me. I don't know why that thing crushes me and the rounded triggerguard never even touches. I got a Super gripframe put on my Blackhawk many years ago, and that thing got me with .357s even.

I bought one of those Vaqueros in .44 mag-- It was a Bisley Model. I have shot A LOT of .44 mag, hot and light and am not recoil shy, but that Bisley in .44 mag beat my "Finger" Finger Bloody. I shot 240 gr. Winchester flat tip factory fodder, and 25 rounds was all I could shoot. My finger stayed sore for a week. Pretty Gun, But Kickin' BEAST!! :shock:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
John Gallagher knocked the square corner out of a couple SBH dragooon gripframes for me for $40ea.
One is on a MRI BFR 454. Problem solved.
Well worth it.

maxpress

Buckeye
what contender said......i load down to 1000fps 240swc for the range. ya just gotta shoot the heck outta it and the grip will come along. i dont know how to explain "catching" a single action but my grip is looser when i squeeze the trigger and tightens during recoil with full power loads. this is kinda contraversial but it works for me. i find that if i GRIP TIGHT i cant keep the front sight from bobbing.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
So I picked up some 44 SPL and went shooting today and WOW now I know I am really going to enjoy shooting this gun.It was alot easier to handle I was even able to use one hand. I know that with a little practice I might get closer groups. Thanks for your help, dusterman

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Marlin 45 being this is my first SA revolver and I am very new to gun ownership I still have alot to learn so I have to ask what is Magna Porting? Also I,m not sure I would do anything to this 44 seeing how its all original and in very good shape but that doesn't mean I,m not willing to learn new things and might pick up something down the road I might do this to thanks, dusterman :)