44 MAG vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
Since you do not reload yourself, look around your neighborhood for a commercial re-loaderer. You'll save some coin plus he will taylor loads to your liking.

If you are successful in locating one of these shops you need to look ahead, meaning, place your Orders well in advance as the guy here stays busy. He not only loads for the general public but he fills LEO Orders as well.

On the other hand, if you decide that you want to shoot frequently...... you then need to seriously consider reloading, but thats another topic as everything depends on your shooting habits.

Food for your thought..............

claydoctor

Bearcat
I recently bought an Old Model.41 Magnum with 4 5/8 barrel. I took it out two days ago and was unpleasantly surprised by the recoil. I still have a bruise on the heel of my left hand from trying to shoot it two-handed. There's no alternative like there is with the .357 and .44 magnums and I don't handload so it's either going to be for sale or it's going to become a display piece.

Knuckles

Buckeye
This is exactly why I went with 45Colt for my 4-inch Redhawk... weeny-loads... BIG holes. :wink:

maxpress

Buckeye
Dusterman":2oedi8b9 said:
Marlin 45 being this is my first SA revolver and I am very new to gun ownership I still have alot to learn so I have to ask what is Magna Porting? Also I,m not sure I would do anything to this 44 seeing how its all original and in very good shape but that doesn't mean I,m not willing to learn new things and might pick up something down the road I might do this to thanks, dusterman :)

magna porting is just drilling holes in the top of the barrel (by a proffesional) so some of the gas goes up and not as much goes out the front. recoil is a percieved thing but 25% off is a round number. IMHO seems like putting goodyear mudvipers and 20" crome spinner rims on a stagecoach to me. my vaquero is a light hiking gun but i still like keepng it as oldwestish as i can.
a 250gr semiwadcutter at around 1000fps will take care of most anything. just ask the .45 guys on here. and i can pop off 200rds in a session and not notice any discomfort.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
That square SBH frame torn my hands up . I replaced it with the Vaquero frame , that frame fit me better then the bisley or SBH hunter frame . I can control the SA roll with the Vaquero frame and no hammer bit on the heavy kickers ..

4e7d8761.jpg

Dale53

Blackhawk
Well, a long time ago, I realized that I couldn't (and won't any longer) shoot heavy recoiling Ruger Single actions with standard grips.

I have Pachmayr grips on most of my heavy recoilers and that helps a BUNCH.

I was complaining shortly after obtaining a new 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and my recently acquired .44 Lipsey Special about the fact that neither Pachmayr nor Hogue's are making rubber grips for the new grip frames (New Vaquero, 50th Anniversarys and Lipsey Specials). I was struggling with them when suddenly, out of the blue, I received a package. In it was a Pachmayr grip for a Colt SAA (long discontinued but like new). It was from "What Cheer" a fellow board member. I removed the grip cross pin and they fit pretty dern good. Not perfect, but good. They shoot even better. I LOVE those grips on my Lipsey Special.

It gets even better. I went on the internet looking for another pair (keep in mind that these have LONG been discontinued). Low and behold, I found a pair on Gun Broker. I made the minimum bid and won the grips. It gets better. The owner turned out to be a local friend whom I have known for YEARS. He even delivered them! So, now, I have a matching pair for my 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum.

It is indeed a small world.

What Cheer, thank you again. I'll remember your kindness for a LONG time.

Dale53