44 Mag Superblack Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
I have a Superblackhawk in 44 Mag 7 1/2 " with a Weaver 2x scope , all stainless. This gun has been in a local gun shop for $595.00. NO takers. What I want to know is the price a reasonable one or if not what should I expect ot get. I would consider this gun 98%
Tnx

hittman

Staff member
GunBroker and Auction Arms can be a guide if you scan the completed auctions.

Just last week I bought a Super Blackhawk Hunter, 7.5", .44 Mag, factory rings, lock, box and a Bushnell Trophy 2-6X32 scope. According to RENE this gun was made in 2007 and I'd rate it at 98%. It is missing the owners manual and fired case.

Dealer was asking $550.00 and that's what I paid. A few internet searches showed that my scope is in the $175.00 range new.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that there seem to be a plethora of used .44 mag guns for sale at present. Probably partly due to ammo costs, partly due to selling stuff to fund the EBR they bought after the last election. Could be you're just trying to sell into a flooded market.

-- Sam

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Your asking price is not out of line as far as value of the setup and should sell at that price at some point. The problem is the Hunter is kind of a niche gun. By that I mean someone who either hunts with a handgun or someone who wants to is going to have to walk into that shop and want your gun.

The Hunter configuration is pretty mission-specific unlike other models with a wider appeal. A regular old Blachawk will draw interest from hunters, trappers, farmers, plinkers, target shooters, etc. The Hunter model appeals mostly to hunters (smaller audience).

IMO, your gun at that price will be gone relatively quick on one of the auction sites. They have a bigger audience than the local gun pusher. This is the reason I sell some guns locally, some on the web.

For example, I sold my FA 83 44 mag in a week on GB at a pretty good price. At that same price, it would have sat in the local shop for literally years before the right buyer came along. There aren't many locals who even know what an FA is or the prices they run. Hop this helps some.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I think Sam may be right about that one. I sold three 44's to help pay for 2 Colt AR's and a Ruger SR-556 (right after the election).

Also, I bought a 98% SBH Hunter (no scope) last year for $450 OTD. You may be a bit high on your price. I think you would do better if you would just yank that scope off of it and drop your price to say, $500. Put the scope on FeeBay or something.

I know when I go into a gun shop the first counter I run to is the Ruger revolver counter. I want to peek in there and see some guns that have some old-time style to them (and so do a lot of others). When I see a scope on a handgun it just turns me off for some reason. It's kind of like when I see a Russian SKS with a pistol grip stock (they call it being Bubba-ed out). Some folks may be seeing your scoped revolver in a similar manner, even though you and I know darn well that the scope that you have on there is a really nice one.

Seancass

Bearcat
A couple months ago i bought a SBH Bisley Hunter for $700 with a Leupold scope that the internet sells for $380. I didn't REALLY want it, but it seemed like a good deal. I don't think your price is too bad at all, and it may leave some wiggle room for you to come down if someone offers.

As mentioned, you may try selling it without the scope, but i'd start at $550 or so. Maybe even offer the scope seperate at $100 and the combo at $600.

hittman

Staff member
There's one on GunBroker right now with a Simmons scope. There's 8 bids taking it up to $565.00 plus $35.00 shipping and the auction doesn't end for 5 or 6 days.

If this gun is a guide, yours is priced pretty right.

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I have pulled the gun from the local gun shop and I will think about what my next move will be.
TNX
Stumps