.44 Mag? Perfect...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smokehouse

Bearcat
Took the Super Redhawk out today for the first time...amazing!!!

I was doubting my purchase of a .44 over a .454 or .500 because I wanted to scrape the line between power and pain. I wanted just enough umph to enjoy it but for it not to be painful.

Well...I can gladly say I made the right choice for me...that SR is perfect. Plenty of power with full magnum rounds but nothing painful....

Just wanted to share my excitement...

Pic of the two Rugers in my life thus far...

Ruger_love.jpg

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I agree on the choice of the 44 magnum. One can load them plenty hot to accomplish most of what any other larger magnums can do but also enjoy shooting it with normal loads. My favorite revolver caliber by far. Congrats on your choice. The rubber grips improve the looks over the Ruger wood panel ones, I gues I never saw a super with those.

maxpress

Buckeye
check out the new handloader magazine with a feature article about the redhawk and +p 44 mag loads.
if you need anymore than a 320gr. bullet at 1400fps then you are probably pretty pooched anyway.
and you can drop down to really nice varmit/target loads in the 700-900fps range.

and welcome to the forum as i see that this is your first post.

Rclark

Hunter
Enjoy the big RH .44mag. If you're after big booms, the RH will certainly give you that..... Mine was a good shooter too. But finally sold it.

Yep, start of Rugeritis for sure :) .

The rubber grips improve the looks over the Ruger wood panel ones
Each to their own, but 'them' rubber baby bumper grips are ugly :) . Sorry someone had to say it :eek: . The wood panel ones were much classier.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's hard to beat a good .44Mag!

I agree about the grips, not only do the factory grips with the wood inserts look better (not great but better) but they are far more comfortable than anything produced by Hogue. Herrett's Ropers would be best but we're talking big money for those because the sixgun has to be shipped to Herrett's for fitting.

smokehouse

Bearcat
Actually...the SR came with those grips factory. Do they even offer a wood grip SR anymore?

Oh...and the flooring in the pic is a rug...not my carpet.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Welcome to the forum!

You can probably pick up some wood grips from Ruger or the auction by the bay. Not sure if the SRH's require an insert to provide a screw hole, as the standard RH does.

Nice guns!

-- Sam

TULLYMARS

Single-Sixer
IMHO the .44 is still the most versitile big bore. You can load it from mild to wild. Your choice of the Super Redhawk is certainly a great platform launch from. Enjoy.

ChiefG

Bearcat
I enjoyed shooting mine too. When I first got it I was very concerned with the recoil too. Turned out it wasn't that bad. Shoots better than some of my .45 pistols with a snappier recoil. Got a 9.5" barrel on mine. Just curious, what kind of groupings can you get with yours?

bigboredad

Blackhawk
hey I love the rug how much would you take for it :lol: oh and by the way you will love the sr it is simply awesome and can tame those monster loads we all get the itch for from time to time

s4s4u

Hunter
Nice gun, I have one, but in 480 Ruger. You should give the 480 a try before you settle down to just one.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I have a .44 SuperRedhawk identical to yours except unscoped. It's my go-to gun probably over all my.44 Mags. Anything that these guns can't take care of didn't need to happen!

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
I went through this 20+ years ago. After shooting a FA .454 I knew I wouldn't rest until I owned one. Never got around to buying one. Always had a .44 Mag close by and the more I used it the more I knew there just wasn't anything I was going to shoot that required anything else.

I Admire FA revolvers, but I no longer look on in awe when I see .454s and .475s and .480s and .500s being fired. I just smile.

Dan