.44 Mag --- Hornady 300gr XTP with H110

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AJE

Bearcat
I recently emailed Hornady inquiring about the max speed for a 240gr XTP on deer and was told they should work up to 2200fps.

I'm looking to work up to around 1900 through my new 77/44 but I haven't found a group size I'm happy with yet.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
AJE said:
I recently emailed Hornady inquiring about the max speed for a 240gr XTP on deer and was told they should work up to 2200fps.

I'm looking to work up to around 1900 through my new 77/44 but I haven't found a group size I'm happy with yet.
You can try Accurate #9 for a good load. 18.0gr - 20.5gr there is more room to go up and down with #9 compared to H-110. I found 19.8gr works good in my 96/44. :D

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
AJE said:

Another consideration you may to try is to go up to the 300gr XTP and see how that affects your accuracy. I've been playing with various loads from 180-300 grain and have noticed the 300 grain is consistently providing tighter groups at 100 yards.

Another note for others that may be reloading the XTP bullets. I was having a lot of inconsistencies with my COL when using the stock Lee seating die. When I looked at the bullets I could see that the seating plug in the die was closing up the hollow point and rounding off the bullet. I've ordered a custom seating plug to install in my die from Lee and it should arrive this week (~$8). I'll post an update on if it improves things or not, but it's something to be aware of for any of you reloading the XTP bullets.

stevemb

Hunter
For you folks using RH's and SRH's, ya know you can use that lower cannelure and gain combustion space, right ? I've not seen data in a manual, but printed out a page from an article yrs ago. The test gun was a SBH. What was gained, and safely by the authors results, was a @125fps in a 4 5/8" SBH. I stopped a gr short of the author yrs ago and shot load thru both SBH and the RH I had then. I'm talking about the 300gr XTP and H110/WW296 as per the OP..

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
For you folks using RH's and SRH's, ya know you can use that lower cannelure and gain combustion space, right ? I've not seen data in a manual, but printed out a page from an article yrs ago. The test gun was a SBH. What was gained, and safely by the authors results, was a @125fps in a 4 5/8" SBH. I stopped a gr short of the author yrs ago and shot load thru both SBH and the RH I had then. I'm talking about the 300gr XTP and H110/WW296 as per the OP..

Yes sir, I'm familiar with the second cannelure. The only reason that I don't use it is because I like to be able to shoot the same load in my revolvers and three carbines. If I was only loading for the Alaskan and SRH, I'd definitely be giving it a try.

stevemb

Hunter
Cool, only mentioned it because RH n SRH's were being mentioned. I've a Marlin .44mag here now, so now loads need to conform to all platforms too, or be segregated.

stevemb

Hunter
Haven't used or stocked this bullet/powder combo in many yrs, well, since I sold off the Redhawk I used to have. Then I was seating the bullet out and using 24grs of H110. The data I have max's out at 25grs w/CCI 350 primers used. Remember this is with the bullet seated in the lower cannelure, more combustion room. This fit in the SBH too, but not much room left in the cylinder. Sooo..just home from snagging a fresh lb of H110(24.95) and a box of the 300gr XTP's. You guys are a bad influence ! I gotta finish up loads for the .480 before I play with this new stuff though. Oh, and please remember, when folks, me too, throw out data, do further research, don't take it for gospel. It's your gun and life. That's one reason I stopped a gr short of what the data I found in a magazine article said. Stay safe folks.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Noah-that long flame of fire from the end of the barrel is unburnt powder. You would probably get same velocity by dropping down a
small amount of powder, a bit tighter on the kiss off the crimp and crono it, see what you got.
I just went thru similar with a .357 125 load in a 3 inch barrel instead of my 4 inch, it looked great, the guy next to me gave me a look. I loved it.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
Cool, only mentioned it because RH n SRH's were being mentioned. I've a Marlin .44mag here now, so now loads need to conform to all platforms too, or be segregated.

It's definitely great info. I'm sure there are many people that didn't know about it. Thanks for the input!

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
Haven't used or stocked this bullet/powder combo in many yrs, well, since I sold off the Redhawk I used to have. Then I was seating the bullet out and using 24grs of H110. The data I have max's out at 25grs w/CCI 350 primers used. Remember this is with the bullet seated in the lower cannelure, more combustion room. This fit in the SBH too, but not much room left in the cylinder. Sooo..just home from snagging a fresh lb of H110(24.95) and a box of the 300gr XTP's. You guys are a bad influence ! I gotta finish up loads for the .480 before I play with this new stuff though. Oh, and please remember, when folks, me too, throw out data, do further research, don't take it for gospel. It's your gun and life. That's one reason I stopped a gr short of what the data I found in a magazine article said. Stay safe folks.

Sorry (well, not really) for motivating you to give this load a try! Make sure and post up your results when you start testing the load. I always enjoy learning from others. Also, excellent advice on following load data.