.44 mag Carbine fun!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
I took my .44 mag carbine out to the range today. I hadn't had a chance to shoot it since I got it last summer. It has a 4X widefield scope on it. The first shot was`a hit on a 1 gallon jug at about 65 yards. I was impressed with the low recoil. It handles nicely, very similar to a 10/22 carbine. I think it would make a great rifle for pig hunting. I put about 20 rounds through it with no problems. If .44 mag wasnt quite so expensive, this would be a frequent gun at my plinking sessions.

pete44ru

Hunter
If you decide to reload, be sure to stick with jacketed slugs - unless you're a masochist, who LOVES to constantly disassemble/clean lead from the gas orfice & piston assembly, i.e. :mrgreen:

Although other weights can be used, they are happiest with 240gr JSP's or JHP's - the stuff the gun was designed for.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Fortunately they are pretty open, so if you do shoot lead, they are pretty easy to open and clean. I'm speaking of the Deerfield, I have no experience with the original model.

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestions about reloads and ammunition! This is an original six digit carbine. She looks like she could be a bear to clean. I really like the way it shoots! It looks like there is a small button down by the tubular magazine on the inside of the reciever. Is this a magazine cut off?