.44 mag ammo for Whitetail

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wmmichael20

Bearcat
I've taken 3 whitetail bucks and most recently a 245 lb black bear last week with my 96/44 all three deer were taken with the Hornady levervolution ammo with two complete pass throughs and the bear was with 240grain hornady custom line with xtp hp got complete penetration through the chest cavity and bullet came to rest and was recovered in his leg where it broke his femur.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I've taken 3 whitetail bucks and most recently a 245 lb black bear last week with my 96/44 all three deer were taken with the Hornady levervolution ammo with two complete pass throughs and the bear was with 240grain hornady custom line with xtp hp got complete penetration through the chest cavity and bullet came to rest and was recovered in his leg where it broke his femur.
The XTP was the big winner in this thread and since Ruger and nearly everyone else says to use 240gn ammo in the carbine that's what I'll go with. I've also been meaning to see how the levervolution feeds in the from magazine to chamber so I'll pick up a box of that just to test. Thanks for your insight.

I've taken deer with a Redhawk, Super Redhawk, and an Encore handgun, all with 240 grain XTP's. Exits in all of them.
I shot 1 bear with my 96/44 and a 300 grain XTP with full penetration.

For this year, my 9.5" SRH likes 260 grain WFN cast bullets, my 5" SRH likes 200 grain XTP's, and my CVA with 22" barrel likes 240 and 300 grain XTP's. I am out of the 300 grainers, so will use 240's in it.