.44 mag 265 gr. / Win 296 / Ruger No. 1 load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Does anybody have a favorite .44 mag load using Hornady 265 gr. SP (#4300) bullets and Win 296 powder? My manual lists 23.5 gr. as max for pistol and 22.2 gr. as max for a Ruger Carbine, but I'm shooting a No. 1. With ranges shut down I'm hoping to hit a good load first try.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd prefer to use a different powder for rifles than Win 296. It, as well as H110, are hot, faster powders. Yes, the Ruger Carbine needs a good burn to operate the action, but in a No 1 rifle,, I'd look at a different powder.

wwb

Hunter
I've only used it with 240 grain bullets in a 96/44, but Li'l Gun at slightly under max gives good velocity and the tightest groups of any load I've tried.

If it's not in their load data, a call to Hodgdon might give you a safe max load. A 265 grain bullet is going to have a smaller max charge than a 240, but probably not by much, since the bullet weight is only increased by 10%. The other consideration would be seating depth and case volume. Since it's not magazine-fed, the OAL won't be a problem if you seat them long..... but the chamber leade may say otherwise.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Be mindful of Lil Gun and magnum loads.
Freedom arms had some real issues with forcing cone erosion resulting from even a few rounds of Lil Gun.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Accurate 11FS and Alliant 300MP are newer powders that are slower than 296/H110. Either manufacturer may have data for those. Either of the 4227's may work as well. Bob! BTW, all of those revolver and semi auto cravats don't apply to the #1 as long as you don't seat the bullet to long. I just looked and Accurate has data for 11FS and the Hornady 265 bullet. Their showing just shy of 1500fps in a 7" barrel. I think that would certainly merit looking into. Alliant has data for 300MP with the 270 gr. Speer bullet, as well. Bob!

98Redline said:
Freedom arms had some real issues with forcing cone erosion resulting from even a few rounds of Lil Gun.

I have heard that also I have used Lil Gun in mag loads with both the 44mag
and 45 colt absolutely no problems. Just saying! I also heard rumors of flame cutting
still have not seen any of it. ps

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I have used Lil Gun in .44 Mad in my pistols and my carbine. The carbine loves it behind a 270 gr. Speer. I've seen no signs of forcing cone problems in the revolvers. Maybe I don't understand the physics involved but it would seem to me that forcing cone erosion would be a result of high heat and pressure yet the pressures listed on most Lil Gun loads are less than that for other powders At the same or higher velocity.

wwb

Hunter
sailorb said:
....... Maybe I don't understand the physics involved but it would seem to me that forcing cone erosion would be a result of high heat and pressure yet the pressures listed on most Lil Gun loads are less than that for other powders At the same or higher velocity.

The problem arises because Li'l Gun is a relatively slow powder (which is exactly what makes it a good choice for magnum loads in a rifle). In a revolver, a slow powder is still burning when the bullet passes the forcing cone, giving rise to the flash at the front of the cylinder.... that's what causes forcing cone erosion and flame-cutting of the topstrap.

Because it is a slow powder, you can use a relatively large powder charge without creating excessive pressure - easy to do with a fast powder.

langenc

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
98Redline said:

I have heard that also I have used Lil Gun in mag loads with both the 44mag
and 45 colt absolutely no problems. Just saying! I also heard rumors of flame cutting
still have not seen any of it. ps

Im dont think flame cutting and forcing cone erosion will be a problem in the
Ruger #1, where this started.
Id check w/ the guys at Sireea Bulletsmiths...800 #on the Sierra site, Im sure.
They give info about any powder/bullet, not just Sierra.

444thumper

Single-Sixer
Just a point of information, I believe the Hornady 4300 was designed for the 444 Marlin and the higher velocity range it produces. A great bullet in the 444 but may be a little hard in a 44 Mag if used for hunting, although I have no direct experience with it to back that up. Fine for just shootin'.

Latest posts