.44 Carbine will not open.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a '79 .44 Carbine that just simply stopped racking. No. 1, if the hammer has been released, Godzilla needs to pull back the initial move. That is to rotate the bolt first, then slide back. If lucky, it will cock the hammer and make it back to lock. Hitting the bolt release will slam it shut. It will not release slowly, it sticks. No. 2, Once closed, it is easier, (not Easy) to begin to open the bolt. The initial rotation, then the slide back. It sticks halfway, then jerks it way back to lock. Repeats...
I have disassembled and cleaned, lightly oiled, and repeated. If I release and dry fire on my dummy round, back comes Godzilla. Godzilla quit! Do I need a new bolt or slide arm ??? Any suggestions, thank you.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Do I need a new bolt or slide arm ??? Any suggestions, thank you.

Maybe, but first you need to completely strip down and get that bolt out to inspect.
It might come out in pieces or it might be simple powder crud or a small random piece of FOD.
No simple answer till you get it out ,clean it up and look.
A few simple pieces of flake powder can make my old rotary powder measure impossible to work till I dig them out.
Flakes get in SMALL places.

As above, I'd suggest getting the parts separated so you can clean and inspect. The cause could be some small bits of debris or pitted areas that hinder smooth movement.

RRM

Single-Sixer
I had a Marlin lever that got a small twig in it last hunting season. Shot a deer and when I tried to cycle the action, it locked up about 2/3 of the way thru the cycle. I had to drift the bolt out with a "punch pin" down the barrel and considerable force. By the time I got the bolt out, the twig was basically pulverized, but there wasn't much to it. Amazing that such a tiny obstruction in the right place can foul the works up completely. Check all the obvious things before you jump to replacing things. It's most likely something really simple. Good luck!

Latest posts