44 carbine questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rh44mag

Bearcat
I have been toying with the idea (for about the past 10 years) of getting a 44 carbine. I don't know alot about them and need a little help. I want to get a decent"shooter" not a collector piece. Is there any particular model or production year to stay away from? Any inherent problems to look out for? I have several 44 revolvers and a 44 lever and I though a carbine would be fun to add to the mix.

agoetz2005

Bearcat
I have an extra 44 carbine up for sale or trade.

Serial number is 4,7xx second year production. Someone added a recoil pad to the stock, but it is otherwise stock, and has weaver bases on it.

Let me know if you want pics.

pete44ru

Hunter
[Is there any particular model or production year to stay away from?] - Nope

[Any inherent problems to look out for?] - Yes:

1) Shoot only what the gas system was designed around - 240gr JSP/JHP ammo - NO LEAD BOOLITS.
Lead will shortly clog the gas system, leading to jamming and frequent teardown cleaning.

2) Since parts/service are hard to find, and some parts - like the trigger housing on the old (tube magazine) model - are unobtainium, any prospective purchase should get a hands-on instection prior to laying out any $$$.

Small parts are findable/repairable - but the trigger housing is not, and can crack/break it's front attachment lip where it hooks into the bottom of the receiver.
A bad one can be tested for, while in the stock, by trying to flex the front of the bottom metal up/own in relation to the receiver.
ANY movement would be a deal breaker for me.

Perfect-looking specimens can have a broken housing, while beat-looking ones work perfectly - look them over.

A "tell", of one that's been little used, is little-to-no-wear on the magazine latch - which gets depressed by cartridge noses to load the magazine.
The anodizing wears off the central part of the latch button/fingerpiece with a lot of use.

BTW - None of the issues under #2 above would apply to the new model .44 carbine - the 99/44 Deerfield, which is basically a Mini-14 on steroids - detachable rotary magazine, et al.
Some like them better than the old model, some don't. YMMV.

agoetz2005

Bearcat
agreed. The triggerhousing itself is $100 if you can find it (there's one on gunbroker right now).

The one I have just got new springs, and a tear down and clean.

Amazing how similar it is to the 10/22

4Sixteen

Bearcat
I have the newer one with the rotary clip, shown here with a Leupold 2.5x scope. Sure is a lot of fun!! :D

45xtp.jpg