44 Carbine Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I picked up an early 44 Carbine yesterday. 61xxx which by my guide is 1962(?). Its rough like its been knocked around a basement awhile but seems decent. Being an older gun, and not being a fan of guns with a lot of moving parts when fired, and being the 44 magnum is what it is, should I look out for anything before shooting it the first time? I'm assuming otc modern loads and bullets are ok to fire?

Also, I would like to know about the 4 screws on the top of the receiver. If I understand right, these are not for mounting a scope, or only two are? Two are for the action? The two larger ones are buggered up so I dont know if I should be concerned about that. I dont plan on mounting one as this will be a hardwoods and brush deer gun but wasnt sure if they came tapped or someone had it done.

Any info or insights would be appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Jacketed bullets only in those.

Ask in Classifieds for screws if you need replacements.

That's all I got ..... sorry.

wwb

Hunter
Scope bases use the two rear screws on the receiver and the two screws on the barrel.

If it's the two front receiver screws that are buggered up, replace them one at a time. Taking them both out at once is a bad idea.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
You have purchased a fine carbine in its time. A well built firearm which was designed well and well built. It has few flaws. However, there are some: the stock tends to split just in front of the loading port .the crack occurs due to recoil and the wood is thin in that area. Also , the stock can and does crack around the recoil block at the rear of the receiver. Look closely. If cracked, it will continue as you shoot it. The trigger group also tends to crack. The two forward screws on top of the receiver were Never had to intended to be removed; thst is why the slots are upset. There is a cam plate in the top of the receiver that you can see by looking through the ejection port. You must shoot only the 240 grain jacketed bullets with full power loads to get proper function.

Parts are hard to find if not impossible depending on what might break. The carbine is built like a Tiger tank and should serve you well. I have fired the little carbine a lot over the years and have never had broken parts. Just a cracked stock. Which stock design did you purchase? There are three.

Should you have more questions, let me know.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Thank you all for the information. This one has what I would say is the standard stock. I haven't had tome to look it over anymore but I'll check those spots for cracks.
Knowing what they go for on Gunbroker I knew it'd be quite awhile before I spent that much for a nicer one so I grabbed this one for less than half those prices. Looking forward to getting it out on the range and more so getting it in the woods this season.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Bought one a four or five years ago and have killed several deer with it. All have been one shot DRT shots. Fun little carbine, enjoy.

Latest posts