.44 Carbine loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

altajava

Bearcat
Hi, several months ago I picked up a 1969 manufacture .44 Carbine, 10/22 type design with the tube magazine. I am just looking at making a load for it and was looking through some of my books, Hornady lists this rifle as the test bed(9th edition) for the 240 grain XTP as a max load of 25 grains of Win 296. That seems a bit high to me, especially since it's .5 grains higher than their max load for the same bullet in a SRH. What can I feed this rifle on a regular basis without shortening the life of it?

Win296 is my go to revolver powder, so I have a tad in stock.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I shoot 24.0gr of H-110/W296 with a 240gr XTP in my Deerfield, which has a stronger action than the Carbine 44.

I would recommend that you start a little lower than what Hodgdon says, at say around 22.0gr, and work up slowly until the action cycles reliably and then stop.

I have found Remington and Sierra 240gr jacketed bullets work just as well.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have tried most every factory load and without doubt I find that Remington 240 grain hollow point cartridges are best. I have taken many one shot kills on our deer. I can also tell you from experience....I handloaded for it at first with 240 grain bullets and 2400 powder. After a few of those I ended up with a broken rifle. The trigger group casting was cracked and I had a fancy single shot. Ruger provided the parts and a gunsmith did the repair. Gunsmith asked me if I loaded for this. I told him yes and he told me that his experience was that most of the broken ones had been fed handloads. Ruger no longer repairs these. My rifle continues to accompany me for deer hunting. Good luck. Great rifles.

altajava

Bearcat
Dantforth said:
I have tried most every factory load and without doubt I find that Remington 240 grain hollow point cartridges are best. I have taken many one shot kills on our deer. I can also tell you from experience....I handloaded for it at first with 240 grain bullets and 2400 powder. After a few of those I ended up with a broken rifle. The trigger group casting was cracked and I had a fancy single shot. Ruger provided the parts and a gunsmith did the repair. Gunsmith asked me if I loaded for this. I told him yes and he told me that his experience was that most of the broken ones had been fed handloads. Ruger no longer repairs these. My rifle continues to accompany me for deer hunting. Good luck. Great rifles.

This is the kind of info I'm looking for on this rifle. I'm aware replacement parts are scarce and don't want to end up with a parts gun. I already load 240 grain XTPs with 21.5 grains of Win296, it's a touch modest for my SBH and SRH but I can also feed my Marlin 1894 with em without hesitation. That is what Im wanting to feed this rifle too, one load for the revolver and rifle. I also have a bunch of Hornady Leverevolution in stock, does anyone know if that's a safe round to consistently fed this carbine?

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I was feeding mine 2400 and a stout load if I recall correctly. Too much for it. Possibly you can find the loading for Remington's factory round that I use. I believe the code on the box is "RMG3 or RMG4". You will not find any replacement parts from Ruger and the solution that they provided to the gunsmith to repair mine is gone as well. Ruger were offering to take them back and replace them with the lever action 44 magnum at one point.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I have a 1973 vintage .44 Carbine given to me by my uncle. It feed his family in Alaska for many years. I use 21.8 gr of H110 under a 240 gr XTP HP or 17 gr. of 2400 under a Speer Gold Dot/Deep Curl 270 gr SP. The Speer is my favorite load, but has been hard to get lately. Just found some and bought 3 boxes. I have also loaded some Hornady 225 gr. FTX with 20.5 gr of H110 with good results. None of these have stressed the gun as far as I can tell. I appreciate the fact that you don't want to break it. I had my charging handle break a while back and could not get a new one. My gunsmith made me a working replacement out of a threaded stud and a piece of a cleaning rod. Looks odd but works just fine. It's a pretty sturdy gun for the most part and will give you a lot of great service if you don't go over the top. Keep it clean and lubed.