,44-40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
How unusual would it be to find a nib blue cc 7.5" .44-40 vaquero and if you did what would be a fair price for it? thanks in advance Dr.C

Boge

Single-Sixer
With a 44-40 you need to remember that in order to make it shoot great you will probably need to have the chamber throats opened up on a Vaquero. Factor that into the cost.

Rainman

Blackhawk
The 7.5" 44-40 Vaquero is an awesome gun and one of the rarer models in that caliber. I got a stainless model with the same barrel length and had to get CAS (cylindersmith.com), a member of this forum, to open up my throats so it would shoot. My throats came .425 and after his work, it shoots like a champ. I think he opened them to .4305. You will definately enjoy that caliber and don't believe all the junk you read about hard to reload. The case walls are thinner so you have to be a little more careful but it works just fine. I use RCBS dies and a Lee Factory Crimp die to finish it off.

Where do you live in the Panhandle? I love that part of the world. Went to Adobe Walls, Canyon and Dalhart a couple of years ago.

Dan

doccash

Buckeye
I have many .44-40 guns, acid etched colt, ruger vaquero, win. 73.s&w, bill grovers etc. and handloading has never been a problem. I just came across this nib 7.5" vaquero and wondered what a realistic offer would be. Rainman I live between Amarillo and Clovis Nm in Texas. Thanks for the reply. Dr.C

doccash

Buckeye
Rainman: I lived in Rome Ga. for a number of years. The guy wants closer to 700 than 500 and though I'd like to have it , that seems a little pricey to me. Gary

Rainman

Blackhawk
doccash:
I go to a lot of gunshows and I have only seen three 44-40s- two of which I have owned. Original Vaqueros have gone crazy in Georgia. Run of the mill models that used to be $350 are now $450- 500. Like I said, I have almost $500 in my SS with ivory grips with no box or papers and was tickled to get it. The 7.5"s don't seem to command the price of the shorter barrels but I like it. IIRC only about 10% of them were made in that length so they are rarer. If you want it, they probably won't get much cheaper for a NIB.

I'm north of Rome near Dalton.

raveneap

Bearcat
Boge":3vcfe3qu said:
With a 44-40 you need to remember that in order to make it shoot great you will probably need to have the chamber throats opened up on a Vaquero. Factor that into the cost.

A while back I picked up a used 44-40 Vaquero. Contacted Ruger and asked about the orig Vaquero 44-40 throat size problems. They said they couldn't tell by the serial number and I should send it back so they could check it. Did so and got it back looking and acting like a brand new gun. And no charge. Can't beat Ruger's warranty

heck, we just picked up this .44-40 stainless Vaquero last week ,in trade from a friend just west of here .......

aVaq44-40rt.jpg

we'd let it go here on the Forum for $500 and include the shipping........

Latest posts