44-40 Cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chapnelson

Bearcat
I see a real pretty SBH in the Classifieds with .44 Mag and .44-40 cylinders. Can you put a .44-40 cylinder on any SBH frame? Just curious as I've been thinking about playing with BP cartridge shooting, and had been looking at a .45 cylinder for an ROA, but a .44-40 cylinder on an SBH might be fun too. Learning as I go, so appreciate the input!

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
They were a limited production gun made up for one of the distributers. You might be able to get the factory to fit one to your gun, if they still have any cylinders left over.
EarlFH

flatgate

Hawkeye
.44 mag. barrels like 0.430" bullets.

Most .44-40 cylinders and brass are made for 0.427" bullets.

The combo was horrible in my hands.

JMHO,

flatgate

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
I have a 44-40 Vaquero and a SBH. The case rim is a little thicker with the 44-40, a loaded 44-40 cylinder will not fit in the SBH frame.

chapnelson

Bearcat
Driftwood Johnson":xtz4jfnj said:
Howdy

If you can't find a 44-40 cylinder, and most cylinders have to be fitted to the gun, they usually do not just drop right in, 44 Mag works fine with Black Powder.

what's a good bp load for .44?

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

The standard way to load any cartridge with Black Powder is to fill the case with enough powder so that when it is seated the bullet will compress the powder by 1/16" to 1/8". The actual weight of the powder may vary from brand to brand of powder. You will also need a bullet that carries a soft, BP compatible bullet lube like SPG. Standard Smokeless bullets with hard Smokeless bullet lube do not work well with Black Powder, the bullet lube tends to form a hard, crusty fouling that quickly builds up in the bore, ruining accuracy and it is also difficult to remove.