44-40 Bisley Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a 7 1/2" Vaquero in 44-40 on hold right now. It's a blued/cch finish one in a Bisley configuration. Fugly fakey ivory panels but has originals too. All my papers don't ever show such a creature so I'm guessing home-brew. Not a big deal I guess Has a non-labeled yellow box for it also. Supposedly it's 95% but will see later this week. proberly gonna call records to see that was shipped as just for curiosity sake.
I'm not big on Vaqueros but this configuration just looks GOOD to me. 8) Not big on the chambering but it's a classic one and worthy of having I guess. Anyways, my question, what's a creature like this have for value in a standard configuration let alone it's current state? Like I said, I'm NOT a Vaquero follower. :lol:

3.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
I like it! The Bisley Vaquero was never offered with that barrel length or in that chambering but I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a good $400 if done properly. Maybe a little more if done professionally.

Terry T

Buckeye
It is estimated that less that 10% of Vaquero production is in 44-40 and the 7 1/2" barrel was the least popular. I think $400 for a good clean one may be a bit on the light side. The original grip frames are not too hard to find.
Does look kind of cool!
Terry T

flatgate

Hawkeye
I also think that's a very interesting "version". Now, if that Bisley's top strap was converted to a "drift" rear sight (in the Colt Flat Top Target style) I'd think it would be fantastic! :)

flatgate

CraigC

Hawkeye
flatgate":371gcj3h said:
Now, if that Bisley's top strap was converted to a "drift" rear sight (in the Colt Flat Top Target style) I'd think it would be fantastic!
Agreed!!!!!!

Okie69

Bearcat
I recently acquired a Ruger bisley in 32 H & R with 6 1/2 barrel. It is blue and has the drift sights. I have not seen this gun in this configuration before, Is it fairly rare? I have a set of stag grips ordered from Sack Peterson that should set it off.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Well I'm still debating the purchase. If nothing else, I'll buy it, swap the parts so it's as it originally shipped (non-Bisley) and use the Bisley parts for a project. Maybe sell the gun then - undecided.
Really don't need another chambering to shoot. Find out in a few days.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Well, brought it home today. It IS in nice shape. Really only wanted the Bisley parts but I might warm up to it. The fake ivory Ajax will be changed (came with factory ones too)
Checked upon getting home and the grip frame has a 5 digit number etched as being on another gun.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Get a 44 mag cylinder for it if you want to shoot it. I bet that cal. is in your stable already. The 44-40's were plagued with sequential problems -

throats at .427, barrel at .430 - solution - open throats up.
next problem - chambers too tight for .430 bullets - open chambers up.
next problem - need custom dies for wildcat based on 44-40 with opened cylinders...

or stick a 44 mag cylinder in it. strong enough, plenty of take offs at smiths, and you get to load a straight wall cartridge.
Just MHO.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
What did you give for it If you don't mind me asking. A gun like that would be $450-$475 in my area..If not a little higher. Only one gun shop in this "College Town" pretty slim pickings :(