44/40 .44 Special Combo or your Best effort

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
Would love to see either/or in any combo. O/M or N/M. Ivory, American Elk, Stag, Walnut, Desert Iron wood, Oak, what ever Grip material you have. No matter how long the Barrel is. Any finish will do.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Not a combo, but here's my .44 spl new model flat top wearing rosewood dymondwood grips and a stainless SBH hammer.

Bowen #5 based on an old model Ruger flat top. Dual cylinder 41 Special/41 Mag.

Freedom Arms 97 32 Mag/327 dual cylinder with two piece grip frame conversion by Bowen and one piece snakewood grips by Fishpaw.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
One of mine is a Colt NF 7 1/2" 44SPL/44-40 convertible. It is superbly accurate with both cylinders but the 44/40 might have a slight edge. POI is 4-5 clicks apart and you will need those finely adjustable sights.
Another is a S&W M24 6 1/2" 44SPL with a complete crane setup for the 44-40 cartridge. The latter setup is distinctly more accurate than the 44SPL setup. This M24 needs screaming hot 44SPL loads to shoot well indeed but that damn pistol WILL then beat the crap outta your gunhand. It's a tackdriver with about any 44-40 load using bullets of 200, 210, 215, 225, and 240grs in weight all with the same charge weight strangely enough.
Also gotta Colt NF 4 3/4" 44-40 but that's enough for now.
And so it goes...

LSCG

Buckeye
no 44/40's here but I have a couple 44spl's i'll show off.

first up is my new model flat top. I slicked up the action and installed a half cock hammer and trigger. I still need to have the front sight base milled so I can use pinned in sight blades and i'd like to add a bullseye ejector rod. Stocks are Ivory and I made the holster.

this here is my newest 44spl.

it's a Smith model 28-2 that has be re-chambered/barreled to 44spl. it just might get a set of Ivory or sheep horn stocks here pretty soon. :mrgreen:

shoots pretty good too. at 25 yards. five shots measured .900 center to center with the flyer opening the group to two inches.

stevem

Single-Sixer
Thanks Zane and Mike! It was my first custom and I've updated it over the years. It is probably my favorite and I have/had a few nice customs. I promised my nephew he could have it when he turns 21. It's going to be a hard one to let go of, he's only 9 so I have a few years left. I'm still hoping he'll like Glocks or AR's better and I'll get to keep it. (not likely though!!)