.44 300 gr HP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Here is another mold I had made by Miha, from castboolits. It drops at .432", weighs about 300 grs., with GC and lube. I also have an affliction for leverguns, and got this mold with the .444 in mind. It is also quite accurate in my various SBH's. It has 3 crimping grooves, for various COAL's, to keep most people happy.

44300grHP002JPG.jpg

This bullet style's meplat is slightly larger than a LBT LFN. It has that flying ashtray look to it, doesn't it ?

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, that really looks like a versatile bullet with the 3 crimp grooves, I swear, you're up to no good with those mean looking slugs, should be a dandy!

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Fine looking projectiles alright! And Jeff, you're like me, I don't mind a little "frost" either when I'm dropping bullets at a good rate.... :wink: (Or does a high alloy temp work better with the brass mold?)

Zeus

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":m86iga8f said:
Fine looking projectiles alright! And Jeff, you're like me, I don't mind a little "frost" either when I'm dropping bullets at a good rate.... :wink:

That frost melts off when the powder fires up :) Thats a mean looking 44 bullet Jeff. We need to try that one on jackrabbits!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Buck, Frost helps with fill- out, and helps the lube stay on. Frosty bullets is nothing to get frosted over :D .

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Okay I have to ask. The only lead HP's Ive ever used is .22. How do these function, in other words what do they open up to in size, and do you find them better than the LBT large meplat bullets? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dana

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
45 colt_man, I want to know , too. That's why I ordered them. The large meplats are great, I think the HP will make a nastier wound. JMHO.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jeff Hoover":p6o1gxs5 said:
Buck, Frost helps with fill- out, and helps the lube stay on. Frosty bullets is nothing to get frosted over :D .
My sentiments exactly. I never thought about it helping lube retention, I guess it would! I just like the way a "hot pot" helps fill out the mold to the point of even getting a few "whiskers". No voids then!.... :wink:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I have that Bullet and mould. Yes you have to cast HOT. I set my RCBS Pro Melt at about 825 on the knob lol.

And I will even give you a load. For .44 Mag :).

Load that bullet with 21.OGr of H-110 or W-296 in a Rem case and a Standard large Pistol Primer. You do not need a mag primer unless it is under freezing lol.

If you like you can try both the Mag Primer and Standard Primer but it will shoot better with a standard primer. :).

For the Ruger in .44 Mag you can try 21.5Gr of either H-110 or W-296 as some find the sweet spot there. But between these two loads you will have a knockdown load.

I also load 21.0 gr of either powder mentioned with the Lee 310Gr RNFP/GC

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
It might help if others that are looking for cast bullets go to the cast boolits site . :). There is a run of some kind going on all the time for moulds. :)

Right now I am waiting on a 358009 285Gr for a 35 Whelen Project :)

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
JesterGrin_1":xxk0zh8u said:
Load that bullet with 21.OGr of H-110 or W-296 in a Rem case and a Standard large Pistol Primer. You do not need a mag primer unless it is under freezing lol.

If you like you can try both the Mag Primer and Standard Primer but it will shoot better with a standard primer. :).

For the Ruger in .44 Mag you can try 21.5Gr of either H-110 or W-296 as some find the sweet spot there. But between these two loads you will have a knockdown load.

I also load 21.0 gr of either powder mentioned with the Lee 310Gr RNFP/GC

Not saying it isn't a "good" load, but folks reading into loading like this be warned....that is a very hot load for a .44 magnum. start WAY under this when working up and use only in a well documented "strong" gun.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I don't believe that that load is "very hot". Hodgdon's provides this data for the 325 gr LFNGC. I have used the maximum shown for years with the 325 gr LFN.

325 GR. BTB LFN GC Hodgdon H110 .430" 1.730" OAL

Starting load: 20.0 grs gives 1264 fps @ 30,800 CUP

Maximum load: 22.0 grs gives 1368 fps @ 38,100 CUP

Just need to crimp it as far out as possible and I do not see a problem. If the bullet was a 300 gr jacketed one I would back off a few grains.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I crimp mine in the middle crimp groove.

And even though this is a safe load I just knew there would be someone that would argue about it.

Just thought I would help a few people out.

So if the people of this forum do not like the load information I have given to help others please by all means remove it. But for others that are looking for good cast bullet loads by all means do youself a favor and go over to the Cast Boolits site.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Jester, shooting cast, about all I shoot anymore, generally has a lower pressure than shooting jacketed. I generally use 22.0 grs of H110 or 296, it's the same powder, with outstanding results ! As long as the bullets are hard enough, with a good lube, I see no problems with these loads.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Jeff you are very correct and Thank You as there was not a thing wrong with the loads I gave.

Happy Shooting but I guess on this site I will have to leave out my load info that WORKS. And let others do what I did work at it. :)

Latest posts