429421 with HS6 for 44 spcl/mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I use HS6 for loading every other caliber so far sooooo, I've been looking through the internet for load data for the Keith 429421 and HS6. I'm seeing some reports of people using 10-11 grains and getting good results.

Does anyone have any published load data in your manuals for this bullet/ powder combo?

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I'm going to try 10.0 grs of hs-6 under this bullet. I'm finding several other accounts online that this is an accurate loading and it came out of Handloader Magazine #228.

Hodgdon lists a spread of 12 to 15.1 for a 240gr JACKETED bullet and HS-6 is not sensitive to light loading so I'm thinking this will be fine.

DGW1949

Hunter
Nothing in my manuals about using HS6 with a bullet that heavy in those particular cartridges. The closest it gets is for use with a 215 Grn jacketed in 44Spl and a 240 jacketed in 44Mag.
As a side note...I found it interesting that my Speer Manual says to use magnum primers with that powder, in those cartridges, regardless of the charge or bullet weight being used. I don't use HS6 so I can't say why that is, nor can I say why I can't find any heavy-ish LSWC bullet loads listed...but is does tell me that something unusual is going on there relative to my experience with using what I can only call "more-traditional" powders for loading the .44's that I've had.

If you don't mind a suggestion....T'were it me, I'd be looking for a more-proven powder which I could easily find verifiable loading info for...say, Unique and/or 2400, depending on how fast ya want to go.

DGW

onemancoyote

Bearcat
Arokcrwlr - Thank you very much. I'm printing this. I was REALLY wanting to find a published min/max. thanks again.

DGW1949 - Pistol Powder is hard to find right now. I have become a big fan of HS-6 and still have plenty on hand. I've had great results in the 357mag and 45 colt. I'm thinking it would do well for midrange 44 magnum.