.41SPL loaded ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Good news for the 41 Special fans who don't reload. Personally, I can't see someone having a 41 Special custom built and NOT reloading for it however. That is why I bought 500 more rounds of your brass! :lol:

dixie884

Blackhawk
My point is that I am a .41SPL booster. I want to see it offered as a factory load with SAAMI specifications, and factory chambered in apropriate handguns. RAR is a custom ammo manufacturer, not Federal, or RP, or WW,but almost on a level with smaller ammo companies. I regard this as a step in the right direction. Perhaps some one will try it that would not, otherwise.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Oh, okay. Thanks dixie. :)
I can see why you think a commercial ammo company taking up building .41SPL ammo is a step in the right direction. I just wouldn't get my hopes up too far. I'm a .41Mag fan myself and as much as I love it, the .41Mag has never achieved the level of popularity I personally think it should have. Furthermore, I doubt it ever will. I just can't see a lot of shooters who disregard the .41Mag, which by the way, I almost always use mid-range loads in, becoming overly enthused about the .41SPL.

dixie884

Blackhawk
RAR is offering 170 jacketed, 210 SWC, and 230 Keith style. I'm very encoraged by that!!
I think that a rise in interest in the .41spl will boost the .41mag The .41's don't suffer from the XTreem variance in groove diameters That plague the 44s & 45s groove diameter is .410. There are no 50 year old, weak, badly designed, firearms with suspect metallurgy to worry about. SAAMI specs should be set at 18k to 20k psi with +P at 22k or 23k. mid frame guns could be chambered (S&W L, Colt King Cobra, Ruger GP100,) All standard SA designs, Small Ruger, Colt SA, Uberti, USFA. At this length It can easily be chambered in all the short throw lever rifles and use Keith type boolits, as well as jacketed. The .41 special could fill the void left by the decline of the 38-40, all in a straight walled easily reloaded, case. It makes me sad to think that the (Arms Industry) and (Ammo Manufacturers) could care less, They had the same attitude about the 25-06, but the people won that one. Help me, Rocky Rabb, Lloyd Smalley, Etc. Lets have a pep rally. I will donate 100 rnds of Starline .41 special brass to anyone who has a dedicated .41 special built. Send me a copy of your envoice from a custom pistolsmith dated after 06-10=09 for converting a hand gun to .41spl. I'll pay the postage.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
dixie, can you point me to any available load information for the 41 special? Heck I don't even own a 41 mag, but I've read about and seen pics of the 41 special on single six platforms. There's a little bit of load data in Mr. Taffin's "Single Actions Six Guns", but that's all i've seen. I have to admit I haven't actually looked that hard, but seeing this thread, I thought I'd ask.

Thank you,
c.r.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Thank you Sir,

I need to write "Google ___________" on a sticky note and paste it to my monitor. :oops: That sure would stop me from asking these kind of questions. :wink:

~c.r.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
"Help me, Rocky Rabb, Lloyd Smalley, Etc. Lets have a pep rally. I will donate 100 rnds of Starline .41 special brass to anyone who has a dedicated .41 special built. Send me a copy of your envoice from a custom pistolsmith dated after 06-10=09 for converting a hand gun to .41spl. I'll pay the postage."

Rats, I had my Single Six put together three years ago. Anyway, I am a 41 Special fan for sure though I load my gun to what I suspect is the 15 kpsi level. I need to order another 500 from you.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Robb Barnes":jm0k0se1 said:
Good news for the 41 Special fans who don't reload. Personally, I can't see someone having a 41 Special custom built and NOT reloading for it however. That is why I bought 500 more rounds of your brass! :lol:

Just a thought: can a .41 Special be built on a security six?

DuaneH

Bearcat
The 2002 Gun Digest has an article by Rock Raab with several loads listed. If I could just figure out how to post a scan, I would put it here...

dixie884

Blackhawk
I don't know, but if the cylinder is as large in diameter as a GP100 it should work. There were a limited number of .44spl 5-shot conversions done a few years ago.

dougader

Hunter
I know a guy that had a GP100 converted to 10mm. I would think 41 Special would be a better conversion.

Oh sure Dixie! Now that I've boughten hundreds of rounds of your brass, had my first 41 Special built by Andy Horvath and am waiting on my second by Hamilotn Bowen, you throw out the offer! You scoundrel you :lol: Take care, Robb

dixie884

Blackhawk
Robb, when your new .41spl gets ready, send me a copy of your paid envoice, and I'll send you a hundred rnds of brass.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Until Remmington came out with their Police Load [210 grain SWC at 1000 fps] there were nothing but hunting loads.
If the old police load was not a 41 Special Load I don't knowmof any...
Remmington did not trim their cases for their "special" loads.

Latest posts