.41SPL loaded ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dixie884

Blackhawk
The police load was introduced at the same time as the S&W revolvers. Sadly, the special wasn't introduced until Hamilton Bowen thought of it. If the .41spl had been introduced in 1964, it might have been a real boon to the .41mag. JMHO.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
My question is about what we call .41 Special loads, today.
Back in the 60's the .41 Magnum was touted as the ideal Police handgun but, Remmington, the only ammo. manufacturer did not come out with their "lite" police load until much later. When they finally did they did not cut the case down. I load 8.0 grains of UNIQUE all the time, without trimming the case.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I could be wrong, nothing new, but as I said in my earlier post, The police load was introduced at the same time as the guns. That is according to Keith, Skelton, and Jordan.

A

Anonymous

dougader":2qluoqie said:
I know a guy that had a GP100 converted to 10mm. I would think 41 Special would be a better conversion.

I agree to that!

Actually, even a 10MM Rimmed would be nice, but I think I could get used to moon clips too.

Couldn't you make a 10MM rimmed case out of .225 Winchester brass?

dixie884

Blackhawk
I've sold about all the .41spl brass I am going to get rid of. I have only approx 1,000 pcs left for sale. I suggest if people want brass after I'm out, that they contact RAR for brass, or loaded rounds. Reed bought 5,000 pcs of brass from me last year, and that is what he is using to load this ammo.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
BTW, does anyone make a seat/crimp die dedicated to the 41 Special? I use a Bonanza Co-Ax press and am not sure that a 41 mag die will work with out being shortened?

c.r.

Single-Sixer
mhblaw":3j71fasg said:
BTW, does anyone make a seat/crimp die dedicated to the 41 Special? I use a Bonanza Co-Ax press and am not sure that a 41 mag die will work with out being shortened?

I'm not familiar with your press, other than hearing they are high quality.

If a 44/357 mag die set works on 44/38 specials in your press, I don't see why the 41mag dies won't work on 41 spcl cases.

~c.r.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
c.r.":1t7cvr5a said:
mhblaw":1t7cvr5a said:

I'm not familiar with your press, other than hearing they are high quality.

If a 44/357 mag die set works on 44/38 specials in your press, I don't see why the 41mag dies won't work on 41 spcl cases.

~c.r.

I don't know about anyone else's 41 Mag seat/crimp die, but my RCBS 41 Mag seat/crimp die is too long for crimping 41 Special cases. It's against the shell holder before I can screw it far enough into my press to put a crimp on a 41 Special case. I'll probably have a machinist shorten it one of these days.
BTW, not ALL 44/357 mag die sets work for 44/38 specials. I have an old set of Pacific 357 dies, and it's the same situation with the seat/crimp die in that die set as my RCBS 41 Mag seat/crimp die - it's too long for crimping Special cases.
Wouldn't a Lee 41 Mag crimp die work for crimping 41 Special cases? I don't know, I'm just asking. I'm not all that familiar with Lee crimp dies, but it seems to me they adjust differently than do other brands of dies. That is, I don't think you screw them further into your press to increase the amount of crimp, do you? :?:

dixie884

Blackhawk
I have a set each of Lee, Dillon, and Redding dies that all crimp .41spl. My RCBS dies are too long. I hear that Hornady dies work, as well.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
So, Dixie, are the Dillon and Redding seat/crimp dies shorter than the RCBS such that they will crimp a 41 Special? or a separate die? Received the 200 cases yesterday, Thanks!

dixie884

Blackhawk
Yes, the Redding, Dillon, and Lee seating dies seem to be shorter to the crimp ledge than the RCBS. Yes my offer still stands on free brass to anyone having a purpose built .41spl built.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
dixie884":3q3wm894 said:
Yes, the Redding, Dillon, and Lee seating dies seem to be shorter to the crimp ledge than the RCBS. Yes my offer still stands on free brass to anyone having a purpose built .41spl built.

Does my Single Six 41 Special qualify? :D

dixie884

Blackhawk
Was it built after 06-10-09, as stated on page one? All kidding aside, why don't you have another one built. Then you would qualify......................

Boxhead

Blackhawk
dixie884":3ykiw7k6 said:
Was it built after 06-10-09, as stated on page one? All kidding aside, why don't you have another one built. Then you would qualify......................

Darn, mine is a 2005 vintage gun. I'd like to build another, I am sorting out what DA platform to have it done on... Do you know what pressure levels the factory loaded ammo you started the thread with is loaded to?

dixie884

Blackhawk
No, I haven't used any of it, but I think Reed will custom load for you if you will contact him. He offered to custom load for someone over on the Greybeard forum. Take er easy, Boxhead.

J.Solo

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Actually, even a 10MM Rimmed would be nice, but I think I could get used to moon clips too.

Couldn't you make a 10MM rimmed case out of .225 Winchester brass?