.41Mag, 4 5/8bbl, brass frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The wood grips shown on NitroAcres' pic are what would have come on the Super Blackhawk blue steel grip frame as used on veeman's gun as well as certain Old Army models, any brass-framed models, and a few later models as well. Veeman's Sambars are, obviously, aftermarket but exceedingly nice.

contender

Ruger Guru
Those are a pair of nice guns for sure.

Correct grips will have medallions with the Eagle recessed & painted black. What we also call "fat neck" ones. (Very early ones had a skinnier neck area.) The 1965 era will have the walnut grips,, and fat neck black eagles.

And yes,, a letter will make sure your gun is "properly identified."

Contender is correct, the "silver eagle" medallions shown in NitroAcres' grip panels came out in 1972, replacing the "black eagles" of all earlier guns except the "red eagles" used on the very early .22 Standard Pistol semi-autos. Much later in the New Models the silver eagles carried the "hard R" trademark as opposed to the "SR" variety shown on NitroAcres' panels.

There is even a short-lived sub-variation of the "SR" silver eagles in which the eagle is a little flattened in appearance, which have become known as the "squashed eagles" thanks to Flattop documenter Bob Campbell, RIP.

We get deep into the details of this stuff here. :wink:

hedrok

Single-Sixer
The depth of detail you guys get into boggles my mind! I guess that's why I'll never be a serious collector…just content to admire from a distance. Thanks for all the info. I'm working on the letter from Ruger…then I'll go from there. I may go down to the OGCA meeting in a couple of weeks and see what I can learn there. That should be fun.🤪

contender

Ruger Guru
We are glad to help.
As a collector,, the "devil is in the details" so to speak. And the info above about the silver medallions is correct. There have been several different variations of medallions over the years. I didn't dwell upon the silver ones as it doesn't apply to the OM 41 here.
BUT,, one thing I didn't mention,, is for about a year or so,, there was a black eagle medallion where the bird has "neck feathers." Generally those were on 1967 produced guns. So, again, it wouldn't apply to this gun,, but be aware of that little difference. And the neck feather medallion grips usually cost more money.

So yes,, we can go into "deep details" here to make a gun correct & "as shipped."

The letter will let you know how it was shipped,, with a model info of maybe "BKH-41" or if truly rare & lucky,, "BKH-41B" as well as where it was initially shipped to.

The other important bit of info usually included in the "letter" is the ship date. This would be critical in the case of this particular gun since its serial number would seem to indicate a 1966 ship date while the possibility of it having been shipped with a factory brass frame would almost certainly indicate it would have shipped in 1973. Occasionally the letters contain conflicting information with respect to ship date versus apparent present configuration. Then we get to watch efforts to resolve such snafus. All part of the game. :mrgreen:

Perhaps I've missed it, but have we established that this gun is in fact wearing a Ruger MR-3DB brass grip frame? :shock:

hedrok

Single-Sixer
The request for a letter is on its way…so we'll see what the Ruger gurus' records show. Without stripping the revolver down completely, there is no obvious nomenclature markings of any kind under the grips…in the hollows or anywhere else that I can see. (That would have been too easy). Is it normal for the grips to have a thin (3/16") layer of walnut between the grip material itself and the frame?

The Ruger brass grip frame is marked MR-3DB on the lower front inner web on the right side, adjacent to the grip alignment pin. This is done in raised letters, occasionally hard to make out.

hedrok

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the link to the box, Terry. It's in a little better shape than mine…but not much.

I checked the frame all over the webbing and everywhere else…no markings, Ale-8. Is there such a thing as non-Ruger brass frames?

I'll see what I can find on "Jay Scott" grips. They look good…at least to my eye….Like scale liners on a good knife.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
hedrok said:
Thanks for the link to the box, Terry. It's in a little better shape than mine…but not much.

I checked the frame all over the webbing and everywhere else…no markings, Ale-8. Is there such a thing as non-Ruger brass frames?

I'll see what I can find on "Jay Scott" grips. They look good…at least to my eye….Like scale liners on a good knife.

There have been several off brand brass grip frames offered over the years. Probably still are some.

One of the best came with an adapter piece to go behind the trigger so the grip frame could be used with the old models, and w/o the adapter for use on new model Rugers.

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
BNR also made an aftermarket Brass GripFrame for Blackhawks..there was one more that escapes me..(as "Qualite" did, i'm sure it's just a rusty file or corroded RS232)