416 Taylor - Model 77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
In R.I. Wilson's book "Ruger and His Guns", he mentioned a few Model 77s were factory chambered in 416 Taylor. He even noted Robert Chatfield-Taylor's personal serial number. Has anyone ever seen one of these guns or have an idea how many were produced?

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, handled one a couple months ago. A great looking rifle!!
The word is that there were 12 made in 1976, and those twelve do have barrels rollmarked with "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY". This would be in addition to the prototype you mentioned.
Everybody should know that most of that technical info that was put in R. L. Wilson's book on the M77 (serial numbers and such) came right out of Ron Burkes M77 book. Apparently it is a lot easier for somebody to just "plaguerize" right out of somebody else's effort in order to make the one who did the plaguerizing look really good!! I know, 'cause R. L. did the same with the technical sn and variety information from my book on Ruger's .22 autos.
The sn you quoted that was Robert Chatfield Taylor's is believed to have been the prototype to the model, and its now in a private collection (the man who wrote the M77 book).
I also have 5 of the 12 known Liberties noted with sn's between 71-12189 and 71-12513.
Of course, this info and a whole lot more can be found in the Reference of Ruger Firearms published by Red Eagle News Exchange.
Chet15

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thanks for the information....and sorry to hear some of that book was "lifted".

I asked about the 416 Taylor because I just built one on a 98 Mauser. Neat round.....sorry it never caught on as a factory model.

416Taylor.jpg

416TaylorCases.jpg

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Just curious if there were any others. I built one a few years back, sold it, and am seriously in morning. I have one on a Model 98 action, but it's not the same. It has the safety in the wrong place.
I could be wrong, but I remember John Wooters having a Model 77 in 416T. Truly a remarkable cartridge that probably carried the 416 calibre until the return a few years back.
Bfly

LGB

Bearcat
I have a Ruger model 77 416 Taylor ssn 74-44578. It does not have the "200 year anniversary" stamp. It sure makes a great moose gun up hear in AK. My friends who shoot moose with 300 mags have always required at least 2 shots to anchor these big boys, not so with the 416 T. This year I used the Barnes triple shock in 350 gr. I have never recovered a bullet yet in 3 different moose. Some people argue that it is too much gun but with all of our big brown fuzzy friends running around, it is just about right. I hope to shoot a brown bear with it this next year. I expect that it will also punch all the way through.

chet15

Hawkeye
LGB said:
I have a Ruger model 77 416 Taylor ssn 74-44578. It does not have the "200 year anniversary" stamp. It sure makes a great moose gun up hear in AK. My friends who shoot moose with 300 mags have always required at least 2 shots to anchor these big boys, not so with the 416 T. This year I used the Barnes triple shock in 350 gr. I have never recovered a bullet yet in 3 different moose. Some people argue that it is too much gun but with all of our big brown fuzzy friends running around, it is just about right. I hope to shoot a brown bear with it this next year. I expect that it will also punch all the way through.

Will your gun letter as being shipped from Ruger as a M77RS .416 Taylor? Or did somebody put a custom barrel on it??
Chet15