414 Gates bisley returns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This 414 Long, Supermag, Maximum, Gates etc finally came home from Jim Stroh's today. The conversion was started by our own Aggie who had sent the Maximum to Alan Harton where Alan rechambered the cylinder, rebarrelled it with a 41 caliber barrel and it was bisleyized. When I bought the gun from John it had two holes still in the top strap so I sent the gun to Jim Stroh and had him weld up the holes, send the gun to Turnbull for CCing, install his front sight along with the Belt Mountain #5 base pin and the Bowen rear sight I sent along. Jim also cleaned off the 357 Max lettering on the frame and remarked the barrel. I sent him some 414 brass and we all know that the one run of brass made reads 414 Gates due to Elgin Gate's involvement. Jim labeled the barrel as such so this is probably the only "414 Gates" labeled gun out there.

For those of you not familiar with the 414, it is a 41 caliber straight walled case that is the same length as the 357 maximum. 1.6" is the standard case length for all the Long or Max cartridges and this family includes the 357, 375, 414, 445, 475 Linebaugh Long and the 500 Linebaugh Long.

While there is no good reason to do so, this gun can shoot the 41 Special, 41 Mag, 41 Mag 1.4" and the 414. The Eagle grips in picture came as part of another gun swap so I just stuck them on this evening for some contrast to the regular Ruger grips.

Once again, I can not recommend Alan or Jims work highly enough. It is kind of fun in that neither of these two gentlemen had ever worked with the 414 before I had Alan do the 5 shot gun for me or before I sent this one to Jim. I even sent Jim some brass and a loaded round to add to his collection. His comment was he wouldn't be surpised if he doesn't end up with one in his safe.
IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

I have not even had a chance to shoot this one yet. In my 5 shot 414 I have used 25 gns. of H110 behind an Oregon Trail hardcast 265 gaschecked bullet but based on Lee Martins suggestion I know use 26 gns of 1680 powder behind the same 265 grain bullet. When I sighted this last load in before elk season the last 5 shots could have been covered with a silver dollar and the group was shot at 35 yards. The 1680 loads are much more pleasant to shoot than the H110 at least for me and I think it would be tough to beat the accuracy. Remember, these loads worked fine in my 5 shot gun and exhibited no pressure signs on the primers and they extracted just like any other working load. As far as chrono speed goes, I have not dragged the machine out to test these as of yet but they seem pretty darn flat shooting when you start stretching them out.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Impressive. I did some work a few years back with the standard .41 mag and a heavier cast bullet I was buying from Blackjack Hill bullets. I don't think they are in business any longer. It was a 255 grain, as I recall, and I was loading with N-110 (Vitavhouri powder). I didn't get a chance to chrono those loads but they were stout and very accurate. I tend to like heavy-for-caliber bullets, in sixguns and rifles as well. Thanks for the reply, and good luck with your new 5-shooter. :)

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Robb Barnes.... whose barrel, rifling and twist?

While I consider the .357 the cream of the Maximums, the bias of provenance may color my view. Nevertheless, PERFORMANCE writes the final word. It seems the original cartridge, and its Maximum offspring, have survived the mass condemnation rites of an earlier "write first, shoot second, do-not-compete" journalism. The shooting world has a generation of handgun hunters and innovative smiths to thank for keeping these cartridges and the revolvers for them at the vanguard of handgun knowledge.

The .414 and the 265 should combine weight with flat trajectory in a bullet of great punch, and do so in a revolver slung from the hip. This performance can only be achieved from a properly fitted revolver, which keeps the pressure behind the bullet.
David Bradshaw

Mr. Bradshaw, the latest gun wears a factory Ruger barrel so it may have to be stepped down to 250 or 240 grain bullets. I have not had a chance to shot this one yet so we will see. Also, I may well have an opportunity to purchase real jewell of a young riding mule to go with my other molly so this one in most likely end up in the classifieds here on the forum in the next day or so. It all depends on how the phone call to the gentleman who has the new molly goes. When I had Alan built the 5 shot 414 we talked about my desire to shoot heavier bullets and looked at the FA twist rate then went from there. I would have to dig my notes out form Alan to see what our final twist rate was when he ordered the barrel stock on that gun.

Latest posts