.41 magnum Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
You know, it occurs to me that you have a letter, a gun you must enjoy(I assume) and an opinion about both. Soon, we are told that Ruger will send you another letter, about your gun, the 41 magnum. Better rest up, as then, upon receiving that second letter, you will have further decisions to make about your gun, and it's history. Hope you are up to the task........Some of this proves one of the NNW theories. That is the one that notes "bizarre" takes strange forms when it comes to opinions, though each of us is entitled to those personal observations...........Enjoy the first letter and don't allow yourself to become too confused by the second. Both will focus further on your 41 magnum Flattop.......... Good thing the weekend is coming. ATB,
Mike 8)

There's a previous, lengthy thread discussing this matter. One post within it is the following, somewhat abbreviated . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am new to this forum, but just had to put in my $.02 worth.
As the president of Williams Shooters' Supply, the lack of notification on these guns is my fault. Ruger produced the 0868 sometime in the past (I haven't asked when.... yet). They were offered to me along with some other discontinued items. They first arrived in our warehouse on September 16th. In all honesty, they were an afterthought. They were a special make up gun for a very famous Ruger Fan. After we received the initial 40 units, Ruger offered us another 36 units early last week. As of 5pm Central time today we took an order for the last 4 units. We currently have another 200 units on order, but no idea of the delivery date yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

From this I take it that perhaps Mr. Hank Williams, Jr. might have requested that Ruger make him a "special" gun. This is not unheard of. It is not unlikely that Ruger decided to make a "few" while they were at it. It is also not unlikely that those involved referred to these as the "Hank Williams guns" as they were processed thru manufacturing, and thus did the nomenclature stick. Once something gets started it's hard to stop it.

I can also see that Hank might not appreciate all this fuss, and Ruger is likely attempting to smooth things over. The letters mentioning the Hank reference will no doubt become collectors' items, particularly if accompanied by any "correction" letters that may be forthcoming.

Interesting episode.

Totally JMHO, of course.
;)

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Ale-8(1). That's exactly as I remember it. I have my opinion now and my curiousity has been satisfied, but will leave opinions up to others.
I'm pretty sure I know why Ruger has issued their statement.
I will say however, that for the sake of our hobby and RF and everything associated with Ruger collecting....I am very serious in the view that we all need to respect Ruger's statement on the matter! :D
Chet15

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Yep the new model BS rises to the surface. That is why I said that in thirty years the letters might matter. Right now they mean absolutely nothing. So are the days of our lives.

single action

Single-Sixer
a lot of chest beating over what is still a extremely cool gun, on a neat format(flatop) who the hell cares what the genesis of this is, I am tickled to have one and in the future whatever it becomes known as I believe it extremely collectible and neat as hell. Let me know what it is when all the dust settles. IMHO sa

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'm with singleactioon. What's the big deal? Does having some connection to HWJr make it better? I for one could care less - Don't particularly care for the man myself. Still, seems to some having that connection is some chest-beating need for some. :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
single action":2gzpbael said:
a lot of chest beating over what is still a extremely cool gun, on a neat format(flatop) who the hell cares what the genesis of this is.

All part of the "history". Some guys like that kinda thing, some guys could care less. Myself...I like it.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
danjoe2006 said:
Guess we can call them whatever we want but i call mine my HANK JR. GUN. Being it has no rollmark on the barrel, my HANK JR. is special.

Yeah...I've got to agree with you on that :D
Chet15

RugerHound

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
There's a previous, lengthy thread discussing this matter. One post within it is the following, somewhat abbreviated . . .

As the president of Williams Shooters' Supply, the lack of notification on these guns is my fault. Ruger produced the 0868 sometime in the past (I haven't asked when.... yet). They were offered to me along with some other discontinued items. They first arrived in our warehouse on September 16th. In all honesty, they were an afterthought. They were a special make up gun for a very famous Ruger Fan. After we received the initial 40 units, Ruger offered us another 36 units early last week. As of 5pm Central time today we took an order for the last 4 units. We currently have another 200 units on order, but no idea of the delivery date yet.

From this I take it that perhaps Mr. Hank Williams, Jr. might have requested that Ruger make him a "special" gun. This is not unheard of. It is not unlikely that Ruger decided to make a "few" while they were at it. It is also not unlikely that those involved referred to these as the "Hank Williams guns" as they were processed thru manufacturing, and thus did the nomenclature stick. Once something gets started it's hard to stop it.

I can also see that Hank might not appreciate all this fuss, and Ruger is likely attempting to smooth things over. The letters mentioning the Hank reference will no doubt become collectors' items, particularly if accompanied by any "correction" letters that may be forthcoming.

Interesting episode.

Totally JMHO, of course.
;)

I know this is a very old thread, and I'm not interested in stirring anything up... My question is to do with the numbers, not the origins of this model...

Can we accurately assume from the quote from Williams' Shooter Supply that there were a total of 280 of this model produced?

Thanks!

chet15

Hawkeye
RugerHound said:
Ale-8(1) said:

Interesting episode.

Totally JMHO, of course.
;)

I know this is a very old thread, and I'm not interested in stirring anything up... My question is to do with the numbers, not the origins of this model...

Can we accurately assume from the quote from Williams' Shooter Supply that there were a total of 280 of this model produced?

Thanks!

When I did the NM flattop article in the May 2010 issue of Red Eagle News Exchange, there were 346 of the 6-1/2" model at the time. Williams may have received a few more since then, but I did not hear about that.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Update:
Here's the quantities produced of Williams' .41 Flattops through 2011...

S458N-41 (model 0869, 87- prefix 4-5/8") = 5 guns
S416N (model 0868, 87- prefix 6-1/2") = 346 guns
BN414L (Model 10408, 48- prefix 4-5/8") = 301 guns
BN416L (Model 10409, 48- prefix 6-1/2") = 60 guns

Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
chet15 said:
Update:
Here's the quantities produced of Williams' .41 Flattops through 2011...

S458N-41 (model 0869, 87- prefix 4-5/8") = 5 guns
S416N (model 0868, 87- prefix 6-1/2") = 346 guns
BN414L (Model 10408, 48- prefix 4-5/8") = 301 guns
BN416L (Model 10409, 48- prefix 6-1/2") = 60 guns

Chet15

Chet,
Thanks for the update,,,looks like you called it right ealier on the 48-XXXXX 6 1/2" prefix guns being far rarer!!

I know you have one of the S458N-41 87 prefix guns, do you happen to know the status on the other four?
Thanks again
Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN said:
I know you have one of the S458N-41 87 prefix guns, do you happen to know the status on the other four?
Thanks again
Terry

Yeah, I know where all the others went.
Don't know if they'd ever be pried loose though...the current owners know their significance!
Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
chet15 said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Thanks again
Terry

Yeah, I know where all the others went.
Don't know if they'd ever be pried loose though...the current owners know their significance!
Chet15

Yeah I did not think anyone with one would let it go. :D :D But the fact that they are all in private collections answers my question. One of the "Holy Grails" for New Model Flat Top Collectors, ranks right up there with the two "Skeeter" guns and Doc's factory engraved .44 NM FT IMHO.
Terry

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Wonder how many "two letter" guns are out there?

;)

That would be an interesting piece of data. I think one forum member has two, maybe four total that I can remember (CRS).

How about one of the 12-14 with the naked barrels. :D :D
Never ends does it???? :wink: